Erm MY laptop (sorry for similar title)

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: It's not ideal, but it works. or if i need to, i press in the little stub thing that's left. I'm not even sure if i have the key anymore... its been months...In summary, the "J" key fell off, the monitor keeps shutting off, and adjusting the power cord is impossible.
Gale
right, so about MY laptop... first of all, the "J" key fell off ages ago, and i have no idea how to put it back on. I've been typing without it. or if i need to, i press in the little stub thing that's left. I'm not even sure if i have the key anymore... its been months...

ANYWAY, the real problem is that the monitor keeps shutting off and freezes up the computer. if i move or anything and touch the monitor, it freezes, if i don't open the monitor to the righ angle, it never starts up, if i try to shut it, it seizes up, if i adjust the power cord, it freezes.. its impossible to deal with. and everytime it freezes, its an even bigger hassle to get it started back up. also, with the power cord... even if its all the way plugged in, it sometimes says its on battery, and i have to fidget with it. minor issue, but since I'm ranting...

anyway, no idea what to do, or if i can do anything. best bet to send it back to DELL? if i send it back, what do you think the odds are of getting it back before i start school in late august?

Thanks for any advice!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Gale17 said:
anyway, no idea what to do, or if i can do anything. best bet to send it back to DELL? if i send it back, what do you think the odds are of getting it back before i start school in late august?

Thanks for any advice!

Hopefully, it's still under warranty...

It seems it's not very useful to you now. So, I'd suggest that you go ahead and send it in. [Back up your data first.] You might try to let them know that you need it back by then... maybe set that deadline a few weeks before. In my experience, Gateway was accomodating when I sent mine back in for some minor repairs... although there was a not-so-funny comedy of errors on their part. I have no experience with sending things back to Dell.

Your laptop symptoms sound pretty severe... internal frayed wire?
[For future reference] What model is it?
If you google it [on the web and in the groups], you might find what others with the same problems have done with it. With this information, maybe you can even make a case that this model is simply defective... and try to get an upgrade.

You could hook your laptop up to an external monitor and keyboard. My laptop keyboard also has keys missing, and I dropped the laptop's screen onto something pointy some time ago, so that's what I do.

What is the best way to take care of my laptop?

The best way to take care of your laptop is to keep it clean, avoid dropping or banging it, use a laptop sleeve or case for transportation, and regularly update software and virus protection.

Why is my laptop running slow?

There are several reasons why your laptop may be running slow, including a lack of storage space, too many programs running at once, or a need for software updates. Try closing unnecessary programs and deleting unused files to improve its performance.

How long will my laptop's battery last?

The average lifespan of a laptop battery is 2-4 years, but this can vary depending on usage and how well the battery is taken care of. Regularly draining and recharging the battery can help prolong its lifespan.

Can I upgrade my laptop's hardware?

It is possible to upgrade some hardware components of a laptop, such as the RAM or hard drive, but it can be a complicated and expensive process. It is recommended to consult with a professional before attempting any upgrades.

What should I do if my laptop gets wet?

If your laptop gets wet, immediately turn it off and unplug it. Remove any excess liquid and let it dry for at least 24 hours before attempting to turn it on again. If the damage is severe, it may be necessary to take it to a professional for repair.