Err, did I do this length contraction problem right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a meter stick traveling at 0.8c at a 60 degree angle. The length of the stick is contracted in the direction of motion and the total relativistic length is found using Pythagoras' theorem. The correct answer is 0.916515m. The next question involves calculating the energy required to accelerate an object from rest to 0.9c using the formula E=gamma(mc^2)-mc^2. The resulting answer is a large number (10^17) which may represent the kinetic energy per kilogram at 0.9c or the total energy required for acceleration.
schattenjaeger
it's a typical homework problem I suppose, a meter stick traveling at v=.8c at an angle of 60 degrees to v as seen in the stick's reference frame. I solved it out and got .6m, which is incidentaly the same answer I got for if it were traveling parallel to v.

is that, you know, how that works?

Physics news on Phys.org
The stick only contracts along the direction it is moving (call that the x-direction). Since it as tilted at 60°, it's length along the x direction is .5m, while it's length in the y direction is [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}m[/itex]. So it is the .5m that gets multiplied by a factor of .6, while the y component is constant. To find the total relativistic length, just use pythagorus.

okok, I did THAT, and got .3m, and didn't think that seemed right for the total length of the stick, so I stuck it back in the 30-60-90 triangle and got .6 for the length of the stick

err, does that make sense?

oh wait, I see, I almost did it right, the .3 then is the x component, and I use the same y component, which I didn't do

edit: So it's .916515m?

Yeah, that's what I get.

Sweet, ok, another question

How many joules per kilogram of rest mass does it take to accelerate an object from rest to .9c?

E=gamma(mc^2)-mc^2, solve for E/m, and it should be some pretty gigantic number? I'm just checking, I got somethingx10^17

Yes, I think that's right.

Hmm, is it? That's the formula for kinetic energy, so I found how much kinetic energy per kilogram something has at .9c, but is that also the energy required to accelerate it to that speed? Or could it just be the total energy gamma(mc^2)?

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a concept in physics that describes the phenomenon of an object appearing shorter in the direction of its motion, as observed by an observer in a different frame of reference. This is a result of the effects of special relativity.

2. How do I calculate length contraction?

To calculate length contraction, you can use the equation L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L0 is the object's rest length, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light. Make sure to use consistent units for all values.

3. What is the significance of length contraction?

Length contraction is significant because it helps explain the observed differences in measurements of an object's length from different frames of reference in special relativity. It also has implications for the concept of simultaneity and the relativity of time.

4. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction is only observed at extremely high speeds close to the speed of light. These speeds are not achievable in everyday life, so we do not experience length contraction in our daily lives.

5. Is length contraction a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real and well-documented phenomenon in physics. It has been observed and studied in experiments and is a fundamental concept in the theory of special relativity.