Err, real easy problem but what'd he(or I) do wrong

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a guy trying to average a speed of 180 km/h while driving 4 laps around a race track. After 2 laps, he was only averaging 150 km/h and the question was what average speed would he need to attain his goal. The initial assumption was that the answer was 210 km/h, but upon further calculations, it was found that the actual speed needed was 225 km/h in order to finish a lap in 32 seconds. The conversation also touched on doubts and uncertainties about calculations and the accuracy of answers.
schattenjaeger
the problem was that a guy wants to average a speed of 180 km/h while driving 4 laps around a race track.
after 2 laps, he's only averaged 150, so its asking what the average would have to be so that he does attain his goal.

So everybody would read the question, put 210, then check the answer in the back of the book and they would assume they are right.

But from the start i knew it wasnt what it seemed. Since If 1 lap=1 km, then going 180 km/h, it would take you 80 seconds to finish all 4 laps.

But, going 150, it would take you 48 seconds to finish 2 laps, and then going 210, it would take you roughly 35 seconds. which comes out to ~83 seconds, and not 80.

So The point is to find how fast you have to go to do a lap in 32, seconds, which comes out to 225 km/h.

When i first started explain it, no one would believe me, i felt like galileo or something

I got 210 myself, and upon close scrutinizing I can't find an error in either of our calculations, and all things considered, the inverse ability function probably made me wrong(what's the saying, you know you're a physics major when you can do vector calculus but don't remember long division?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct. Can you read my working ?

Attachments

• schatenjaegger.jpg
    schatenjaegger.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 409

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and understand a problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, it seems that the person asking the question and the person responding both made the same mistake of assuming that the time it takes to complete the race is directly proportional to the speed. However, this is not the case as the time also includes the time it takes to make turns and navigate the race track.

To solve this problem accurately, one must take into account the distance and time for each lap, and the total time it takes to complete the race. By doing so, it becomes clear that the average speed must be higher than 210 km/h to achieve the goal of averaging 180 km/h over 4 laps.

This situation serves as a reminder that in science, it is important to carefully analyze and understand the problem at hand before jumping to conclusions. It also shows the importance of double-checking calculations and considering all factors involved in a problem.

1. What is the most common mistake that people make when solving an easy problem?

The most common mistake people make when solving an easy problem is overthinking it. They may assume that the problem is more complex than it actually is and try to come up with a complicated solution, when in reality, the answer may be much simpler.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving simple problems?

To avoid making mistakes when solving simple problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Take your time and break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. Also, double check your work and make sure you haven't overlooked any key information.

3. Is there a specific approach or method I should use when solving easy problems?

There is no one specific approach or method that works for every easy problem. However, it can be helpful to use strategies such as drawing diagrams, making a list of steps, or working backwards from the solution to the problem. Find a method that works best for you and stick with it.

4. Why do I struggle with simple problems even though I understand the concept?

Sometimes, struggling with simple problems can be due to a lack of practice or confidence. If you are not regularly practicing problem-solving, it can be easy to forget the steps or make simple mistakes. Additionally, lack of confidence can cause you to doubt your abilities and overthink the problem.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for easy problems?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills for easy problems is to practice regularly. Find a variety of problems to solve and try different approaches until you find one that works for you. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help or consult with others to see how they approach similar problems.