Are these statements about real numbers erroneous?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, there is no real number within the interval (1,1), and the product of all real numbers within the interval (0,1) and (1,2) is undefined due to the inability to order or arrange all real numbers in a continuous interval. The product of all real numbers within the interval (0,∞) cannot be determined due to the importance of order when multiplying an infinite number of elements. Therefore, the concept of the product of all reals in a continuous interval is flawed and the questions posed are erroneous.
bomba923
*Note: I think questions 2-4 are erroneous?

1) There does NOT exist any [tex] x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] such that [itex] x \in \left( {1,1} \right) [/tex] ?

2) The product of all reals in [tex] ( 0 , 1 ) [/tex] is zero, right?

3) The product of all reals in [tex] ( 1 , 2 ) [/tex] is infinity, right?

4) The product of all reals in [tex] (0 , \infty ) [/tex] I suppose is one, because each real greater than one has a reciprocal less than one (and vica versa). Their products equal to one. Therefore the product of all reals in [tex] (0 , \infty ) [/tex] is one?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Number 1 seems o.k, particularly if you know how the real numbers are defined.

The problem with number 2 is that how exactly would you multiply all real numbers greater than 0 and less than 1 together?

It's quite easy to multiply a sequence of real numbers together that are greater than 0 and less than 1, but the answer could be any real number equal or greater to 0 and less than 1. However, you that's a lot different from multiplying "all real numbers". Same goes for number 3 and 4.

Also something you don’t seem to understand about adding or multiplying an infinite number of elements, order is quite important. You can add the same set of numbers together in a different order and the result may be entirely different.

Zurtex said:
Also something you don’t seem to understand about adding or multiplying an infinite number of elements, order is quite important. You can add the same set of numbers together in a different order and the result may be entirely different.

Exactly why I think Question #4 is wrong
Depending on how I represent this crazy product (in this case, which order I multiply), indeed I would get another value. For example, I could multiply each recipocal-number product by 2, and overall still represent a product of unique reals.
(:redface:these weren't my questions, but I could not at the time offer much of a counterargument//->which is why I'm here at PF!)

bomba923 said:
Exactly why I think Question #4 is wrong
Depending on how I represent this crazy product (in this case, which order I multiply)...
The set of all reals in a continuous interval cannot be ordered into a sequence (see Cantor's diagonal method), and as such cannot be indexed in order to be put into a product in the first place. Is this a question in a text ? :confused:

Last edited:
The set of all reals in a continuous interval cannot be ordered

You mean they cannot be arranged in a sequence. (indexed by the naturals)

Of course they can be ordered... for example, < is a perfectly good ordering on the reals in an interval. :smile:

and they can even be well ordered too, modulo the axiom of choice, that is it is possible to define an order relation where it makes sense to talk of there being a 'next' real number after another one. doesn't agree with the usual ordering, of course.

Hurkyl said:
You mean they cannot be arranged in a sequence. (indexed by the naturals)

Of course they can be ordered... for example, < is a perfectly good ordering on the reals in an interval. :smile:
Silly me. :rofl: I meant arranged in a sequence. :blushing:

1. What is an erroneous statement?

An erroneous statement is a statement that is incorrect or false, either due to a mistake or intentional deception. It can also be referred to as a factual error or an inaccuracy.

2. How can erroneous statements be identified?

Erroneous statements can be identified by comparing them to reliable sources of information, such as scientific studies, reputable news articles, or expert opinions. They can also be identified by conducting further research and fact-checking the statement.

3. Why are erroneous statements problematic?

Erroneous statements can be problematic because they can spread misinformation and lead to incorrect beliefs or actions. In scientific research, erroneous statements can also lead to faulty conclusions and hinder progress in the field.

4. How can erroneous statements be avoided?

To avoid making erroneous statements, it is important to thoroughly research and fact-check information before sharing it. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field and to critically evaluate sources of information.

5. What should be done if an erroneous statement is discovered?

If an erroneous statement is discovered, it is important to correct it and provide accurate information. This can be done by publicly acknowledging the mistake and sharing reliable sources of information to support the correction.