Error Analysis and Simpson's Rule to approximate integrals

In summary, Simpson's Rule will give the same result as the definite integral for low-power polynomials due to the nature of its error term being dependent on the fourth derivative of the integrand. This means that for polynomials of degree 3 or less, there is no error involved in the approximation.
Mangoes
Hey there,

This isn't exactly a homework question, but my question did arise while doing homework and I wouldn't know where else to post it, so here I am.

I'm a Calc 2 student and covered approximations of integrals that I normally wouldn't be able to integrate today. I was going through the homework questions and came across something that took my interest.

Homework Statement

[itex] \int 2x^3 dx [/itex] from 1 to 3 (I don't know how to write the definite integral on this forum)

[tex] |Error Bound| = \frac{k(b - a)^5}{180n^4} [/tex]

where a and b are the limits of integration, n is the number of subintervals, and k is the maximum value of the fourth derivative of the integrand.

Find the error involved in approximating the integral when n = 4 while using Simpson's Rule.

-

Now, here's the thing, for this certain function, 2x^3:
[tex] f'(x) = 6x^2 [/tex]
[tex] f''(x) = 12x [/tex]
[tex] f'''(x) = 12 [/tex]
[tex] f^4(x) = 0 [/tex]

The fourth derivative is just 0, so the only value k can really take in this case is 0. I thought this was strange, as it meant an approximation with so little partitions would have no error in it, but I checked behind the book through the answers and sure enough, the answer was 0.

I was still a little puzzled, but I figured that if indeed there's no error in approximating the function, for this case, Simpson's Rule would give the same result as the definite integral. So I went ahead and computed both, and sure enough, the result from both came back as a 40.

This leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Would Simpson's Rule for approximating integrals give the same result as the definite integral in all low-power polynomials such as this?

2. If that is the case, why is this? Is there a relatively simple reason for this that I'm just not seeing?

I'm not as familiar with the theory behind this method of approximation so it might be something very simple that I'm just not seeing.

(Also, yes, I realize there's no point in applying this method since I can just use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, but I'm just curious more than anything)Thanks for any input

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Hi there,

Thank you for your question! I am a scientist and I specialize in mathematics, so I can help answer your questions about Simpson's Rule and the error involved in approximating integrals.

To answer your first question, yes, Simpson's Rule will give the same result as the definite integral for low-power polynomials like 2x^3. This is because Simpson's Rule is specifically designed to approximate integrals of polynomials. In fact, it is most accurate for polynomials of degree 3 or less, which is why it gave you a result of 40 for your particular integral.

Now, for your second question, the reason why Simpson's Rule gives the same result as the definite integral for low-power polynomials is because the error term in Simpson's Rule is dependent on the fourth derivative of the integrand. As you correctly pointed out, for a polynomial of degree 3, the fourth derivative is 0, which means there is no error involved in the approximation. This is also why the error bound formula you mentioned gave a result of 0.

I hope this answers your questions and helps clarify the theory behind Simpson's Rule. It is always great to see students curious and interested in the underlying principles of mathematical methods. Keep up the good work!

1. What is error analysis and why is it important in approximating integrals using Simpson's Rule?

Error analysis is a method used to determine the accuracy of an approximation or measurement. In the context of approximating integrals, error analysis is crucial because it allows us to understand how close our estimate is to the actual value. This helps us determine the reliability of our calculation and make adjustments if necessary.

2. How is error calculated in Simpson's Rule?

Error in Simpson's Rule is calculated by finding the difference between the exact value of the integral and the approximate value obtained using the rule. This difference is often represented as the absolute value of the error, which gives the magnitude of how far off our estimate is from the actual value.

3. Can Simpson's Rule be used to approximate any type of integral?

While Simpson's Rule is a powerful method for approximating integrals, it can only be used for integrals that have an even number of intervals. This means that the interval must be divisible by 2, and the function being integrated must be smooth and continuous over the interval.

4. How does the number of intervals affect the accuracy of Simpson's Rule?

Generally, the more intervals used in Simpson's Rule, the more accurate the approximation will be. This is because more intervals allow for a better representation of the curve, resulting in a smaller error. However, using too many intervals can also lead to computational errors, so it is important to strike a balance.

5. Are there any limitations to using Simpson's Rule for approximating integrals?

Simpson's Rule is a numerical method for approximating integrals and therefore, it is not exact. It relies on the assumption that the function being integrated is smooth and continuous. If the function has sharp turns or discontinuities, Simpson's Rule may not provide an accurate approximation. In such cases, other methods may be more suitable.