What is the error analysis for a function of Newton's cooling law?

In summary, you would treat the function as a two variable function of tau (time constant in exponent) and time, and calculate the uncertainty of the time constant by taking partial derivatives over time and tau.
dziech
Hi guys,

I have a silly question, but I seem to be confused about it. Let's say I have a function of Newton's cooling law. I measured the exponential drop of the temperature of some system and now I want to make an error analysis. Do I treat this function as a two variable function of tau (time constant in exponent) and time ? If yes, according to the error analysis I need to take partial derivatives over time and tau. This results in having time as a product in df/dtau result. Shall this be a measured time of the temperature falling to the constant level ?

In equations :

## \frac{df(\tau,t)}{d\tau} = \tau e^{-\tau t} ##
## \frac{df(\tau,t)}{dt} = t e^{-\tau t }##

Physics news on Phys.org
dziech said:
Hi guys,

I have a silly question, but I seem to be confused about it. Let's say I have a function of Newton's cooling law. I measured the exponential drop of the temperature of some system and now I want to make an error analysis. Do I treat this function as a two variable function of tau (time constant in exponent) and time ? If yes, according to the error analysis I need to take partial derivatives over time and tau. This results in having time as a product in df/dtau result. Shall this be a measured time of the temperature falling to the constant level ?

In equations :

## \frac{df(\tau,t)}{d\tau} = \tau e^{-\tau t} ##
## \frac{df(\tau,t)}{dt} = t e^{-\tau t }##
Since ##\tau## is a time constant (your words), it's not a variable, so don't differentiate with respect to it. It could be that here ##\tau## is a parameter, a value that can have different values for different scenarios, but isn't considered to be a variable.

I asked my question in a wrong way. The uncertainty i want to measure is the one if the time constant. Then it's a function of tine and temperature. The question remains, is the t value that stays in derivative a value over i made my calculations? It makes sense if i take the uncertainty of the arguments and multiply them by time so kind of number of samples.

dziech said:
I asked my question in a wrong way. The uncertainty i want to measure is the one if the time constant.
If the time constant is what? This isn't a complete thought.
dziech said:
Then it's a function of tine and temperature. The question remains, is the t value that stays in derivative a value over i made my calculations?
I don't understand what you're asking.
dziech said:
It makes sense if i take the uncertainty of the arguments and multiply them by time so kind of number of samples.
I don't understand this either.

Ok, maybe more context will help : )

I have samples of a solid cooling down. I do data fitting with Levenberg Marquardt algorithm to find ##\tau## - time constant of the exponential function. Now I want to calculate the uncertainty of the time constant ##\tau##. Let's put it simple - what are the possibilities to do that ?

OK, that's clearer. The bit about a time constant threw me off, since it's not actually known.

I guess I would approach this as f being a function of both t and ##\tau##.

The total differential, df, would be
$$df \approx \frac{\partial f}{\partial \tau}\cdot \Delta \tau + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} \cdot \Delta t$$

Yes, sorry, sometimes I forget to keep things straight forward : )

Ok, great - this is exactly where I got stuck: the derivative with respect to ##\tau## will in the end include time wouldn't it ? So :
## f = T_{ambient} + (T(0)-T_{ambient})e^{-kt}##
Now I keep the t as a constant (if I understand correctly) and :
##\frac{df}{d\tau} \Delta\tau= -t(T(0)-T_{ambient})\Delta\tau##

I am confused what t is in my example ?

But the question still remains how to calculate the ##\Delta\tau##. I got this parameter from data fitting. I just wonder if I can turn the function around so that the ##\tau(T,t)## and then calculate ##\Delta\tau##

What is error analysis of a function?

Error analysis of a function is a process of identifying and quantifying the errors or uncertainties associated with the values of a function. It involves analyzing the sources of error, calculating the magnitude of the error, and determining the impact of these errors on the overall accuracy of the function.

Why is error analysis important in scientific research?

Error analysis is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to evaluate the reliability and validity of their results. By understanding and quantifying the errors associated with a function, scientists can make more accurate conclusions and improve the quality of their research.

What are the common sources of error in a function?

The common sources of error in a function include measurement errors, human error, equipment errors, and environmental factors. These errors can arise from various factors such as faulty instruments, imprecise measurements, and unpredictable external conditions.

How is error analysis performed in practice?

Error analysis is performed by using statistical methods to calculate the errors and uncertainties associated with a function. This can involve techniques such as error propagation, uncertainty analysis, and Monte Carlo simulations. Additionally, repeated experiments and comparison with known values can also help identify and reduce errors.

How can error analysis be used to improve the accuracy of a function?

Error analysis can be used to improve the accuracy of a function by identifying the sources of error and taking steps to reduce or eliminate them. This can include using more precise instruments, increasing sample sizes, and improving experimental techniques. Additionally, understanding the magnitude of errors can also help adjust the function to better fit the data and improve its accuracy.