Solving a Complex Equation: Finding wasym with Error

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the value of wasym given an equation and certain values for L, b, g, and wo. The person got a value of 4.25 rads-1 but is unsure how to calculate the error, which should be 6.53%. They share their attempt at a solution and ask for help understanding how to calculate the error.
zak8000

Homework Statement

i am given an equation like this wasym=sqrt[wo2+gb/2L(L-b)]

where L=60.7 ± 0.4cm and b=L/5
g=9.789 ms^-2
wo=4.001 ± 0.004 −1
and i am told to find the value for wasym

i get for my 4.25 rads-1 but i don't know how to calculate the error on the back of my textbook it says the answer is 6.53%

with the following working
sqrt[0.1%^2 ( 0) + 6.5%^2 ( ) + 0.66%^2 ( )] = 6.53 % i don't understand how they got the answer any help would be appreicated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any knowledge of error analysis? Surely if you're being asked this question, you already learned about error propagation and had various formulas for addition, subtraction, powers, etc?

1. What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that contains both real and imaginary numbers. It typically involves variables raised to powers other than 1 and may have multiple terms and operations.

2. Why is it important to solve a complex equation?

Solving a complex equation allows us to find the value of the variable or variables involved. It is an essential step in understanding and analyzing mathematical or scientific problems.

3. What is "wasym" in the context of solving a complex equation?

"Wasym" stands for the "wavelength asymmetry" and is a term used to describe the difference in wavelength between the two components of a complex equation.

4. How do you find wasym with error in a complex equation?

To find wasym with error, you would need to first solve the complex equation and then use the resulting values to calculate the wavelength asymmetry. The "error" in this context refers to the uncertainty or margin of error in the calculated value.

5. What are some strategies for solving a complex equation with error?

Some strategies for solving a complex equation with error include using algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or completing the square. Another approach is to use numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator or computer program to approximate the solution.