1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error analysis

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to find the uncertainty in [tex]\theta[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is given by:

[tex]\theta=sin^{-1}\frac{n\lambda}{d}[/tex]

in this case, I am assuming there is no uncertainty in [tex]\lambda[/tex].

This is what I tried:

[tex]\delta \theta=\sqrt{(\frac{d\theta}{dd})^2(\delta d)^2}[/tex]

(the total derivative in there should be a partial derivative, but I don't know how to get that symbol)

[tex]\delta \theta=\sqrt{(\frac{\frac{\lambda}{d}}{\sqrt{d^2-\lambda^2}})^2\delta d^2}[/tex]

I think that is right, but if I use the values [tex]\lambda=632.8 nm, d=1.08 \mu m[/tex] and [tex]\delta d =.001 \mu m[/tex] I get an uncertainty of almost 450 degrees. Where am I making my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.Click on this:[tex] \partial [/tex].
    2.U assumed "n=1",else that derivative should have included the product [itex] n\lambda [/itex].
    3.If [itex] n\neq 1 [/itex],then you should include "n" in the derivative (under the square root) and redo your calculations.
    4.If "n=1",then it's either the numbers are badly chosed,or u ****ed those calculations.

Daniel.

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3
    1. Thanks for the latex lesson
    2. n=1
    3. Turns out it was just my math. Although I did that calculation at least 4 or 5 times and kept getting the same answer before. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it works much better now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?