1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error and significant figures

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We measure the period of oscillation of a simple pendulum .In successive measurements ,the readings turn out to be 2.63 s , 2.56s , 2.42s , 2.71s and 2.80s . What is the period of oscillation taking into account appropriate significant figures ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Mean period of oscillation T = ( 2.63 + 2.56 + 2.42 + 2.71 + 2.80 ) / 5 = 13.12/5 =2.62s

Arithmetic mean of absolute error ΔT = ( 0.01 + 0.06 + 0.20 + 0.09 + 0.18 ) /5 =0.11 s

This gives time period = 2.62 ± 0.11s

But , since the arithmetic mean is 0.11 s there is already an error in the tenth of a second . Hence there is no point in giving the period to a hundredth .

Now , my doubt is whether time period should be expressed as (2.62 ± 0.11s) OR (2.6 ± 0.1s) .

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have five observations; average is 2.624, estimated standard deviation ##\sigma## is 0.15 (excel stdev.s), so the estimated standard deviation in the 2.62 is 0.065 (##\sigma_m = \sigma/\sqrt N##) .

The relative accuracy of ##\sigma## is ##1/\sqrt 5## so about 50%. Your best shot is ## \ 2.62 \pm 0.07 ## seconds.

---
    Aside from that:
    Numerically, you ended up with an error estimate with first digit 1. I learned that in such a case one gives two digits since the step (0,1,2) is too big. But: With only five observations there is a lot to be said in favor of giving only one digit anyway.

And another aspect: if you are going to do something with this result (plot T as a function of some length, calculate g, etc.), the remainder of your expose will be easier to follow with 2.62 +/- 0.11 than with 2.6 +/- 0.1 . And if you don't leave out mentioning the number of observations, a good reader understands.

Somewhat a matter of taste; I'd love to read other arguments. Any takers ?

4. Jul 15, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My view is that rounding to some number of digits in order to indicate the accuracy is merely a way to imply the range when no other indication is provided. If you are going to specify a range explicitly, you can, and should, show more digits for the best estimate (usually the middle of the range).
    I didn't understand the remark about relative accuracy. Isn't it just a question of deciding how many standard deviations constitute a +/- error range? Two or three, maybe?

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I learned (yes, long ago...) that if you report only a +/- Δa then that's the sigma. If you want to report a range then that can be 2 or 3 sigma, but then you include a confidence level (e.g. 95% C.L) .

The relative error remark was on the relative error in the estimate of ##\sigma## from a sample. It is ##\approx 1/\sqrt N##. You need a sample size of 10000 to get an error of 1% in the ##\sigma## !

Life becomes even more inteesting if you have a systematic error to report; you can fold it into the statistical error, but you can also write a ##\pm## Δastat ##\pm## Δasyst (syst) which looks really professional

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5
    So which of the two , (2.62±0.11)s OR (2.6±0.1)s seems better ?

7. Jul 15, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The first.

8. Jul 15, 2016 #7
    From the OP :
    Do you mind explaining why you didn't like the above reasoning ?Please explain as simply as possible .

9. Jul 15, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It doesn't hurt to show the extra .01s, and it is closer to the truth. If you write +/-0.1s then you are not quite encompassing the range. But to write +/-0.2s would be unnecessarily cautious. Maybe you think that +/-0.1s should be interpreted as per the sig figs convention, i.e. as really meaning +/-(0.1+/-.05), but that just gets silly.
    Suppose you had computed the error range as +/-0.123. In that case, I think it would be reasonable to write it as +/-0.13. The extra 0.007 is insignificant, and it does encompass the computed error range.

10. Jul 16, 2016 #9
    Since you are trying to get a handle on measurement uncertainity, here's a link to a somewhat dated version of the international standard.
    I haven't checked lately, there may be a later version. NB. It's about 7 megabytes zipped.

GUM - Guide to expression of uncertainity in measurement2008 & Intro & Supplement 1

URL: http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_pack_2010-03.zip [Broken]
    (My download Date was: 2011/02/14 15:00)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted