Error Bound on Tangent Maclaurin Series

In summary, you need to consider the behavior of \tan x and the factorial in order to accurately bound the error for \tan x on [0, \frac{\pi}{2}].
Juanriq
Salutations! Just checking if my logic is correct.

Homework Statement

I need to bound the error for [tex] \tan x [/tex] on [tex] [0, \frac{\pi}{2}] [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
R_n(x) = \displaystyle \frac{\tan^{n+1}(\zeta)}{(n+1)!}x^{n+1}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So...I thought that the error should go to 0 since the factorial will eventually overtake the polynomial. Then, I thought that this logic might break down since [tex] \tan x [/tex] goes to infinity on the interval. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are not overthinking this. The error will indeed go to 0, since the factorial will eventually overtake the polynomial. However, you need to be careful because the error will be larger near the boundary values (i.e. 0 and \frac{\pi}{2}) due to the fact that \tan(\zeta) can become very large near these values.

What is an error bound on a tangent Maclaurin series?

An error bound on a tangent Maclaurin series is a measure of how accurate the approximation is compared to the actual value of the function. It gives an upper limit on the difference between the actual value and the approximation.

How is the error bound on a tangent Maclaurin series calculated?

The error bound is calculated using the Lagrange form of the remainder term in the Maclaurin series. This involves taking the n+1 derivative of the function and evaluating it at a value c between the center of the series and the point at which the approximation is being made.

Why is it important to know the error bound on a tangent Maclaurin series?

Knowing the error bound allows us to determine how accurate the approximation is and if it is a suitable approximation for the desired application. It also helps us to determine how many terms of the series need to be included to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

What factors can affect the error bound on a tangent Maclaurin series?

The error bound can be affected by the function being approximated, the number of terms in the series, and the point at which the approximation is being made. It can also be affected by the precision of the calculations being performed.

How can we improve the accuracy of a tangent Maclaurin series approximation?

The accuracy of the approximation can be improved by including more terms in the series or by using a more precise method of calculation. It is also important to choose a point for the approximation that is closer to the center of the series, as this can reduce the error bound.