1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error Calculatoin

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to shot 100(±5) to kill 50.
    how many shots I need to kill 1 bird?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    100±5/50 = 2±0.1

this solution is so simple, I think it is not right - is it? :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mathematically speaking, the question "how many shots do I need to kill 1 bird" can be interpreted as : "after how many shots is the probability that one single bird that I am shooting at is dead" ? And that can be answered with: an infinite number of shots. Because there is a non-zero probability that you miss N shots, however big you choose N.

After which the bird will fly away. :smile:

However, things change when you ask (for example) : after how many shots can I be 95% certain the bugger is dead.

PS in your answer, if you want to be on the safe side: how does one fire 2.1 shots ? :rolleyes:

4. Jul 15, 2016 #3
    Hi pangru:

The "+/- 5" represents some form of "standard error" which is some multiple of the standard deviation of a distribution. From
    "the population standard deviation is equal to the square root of the variance".
    The variance is proportional to the sample size. In the problem example, the sample size of 100 produced the standard deviation of 5. From that you are to estimate the standard deviation for a sample size of 2. The answer you got of 0.1 by dividing by 50 is wrong.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted