1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error Calculus

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given is a set of measurements with their respective errors for example an energy spectrum. In gnuplot one is to fit a function [itex] f(x;\{p_i\})[/itex] depending on a variable x and on fit parameters [itex] p_i[/itex]. When the fit is done one gets values for the [itex]p_i[/itex] with errors and a correlation matrix with values [itex] c_{ij}[/itex]. Now one has to calculate a value [itex]v(\{\text{some of the }p_i\})[/itex] that depends on some of the the [itex]p_i[/itex] and find its error [itex]\Delta p_i[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    How will a calculate the error e? Do i have to take correlations into account? Can i do it the way i attemp it in my solution attempt.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]e^2=\sum_{i}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial p_i}\cdot \Delta p_i\right)^2+\sum_{ij}\frac{\partial v}{\partial p_i}\frac{\partial v}{\partial p_j}c_{ij}\Delta p_i \Delta p_j[/itex]

If this is right what happens if one of the [itex]c_{ij}[/itex] is negative?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted