1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error function integral

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a question I'm trying to solve for chemistry research - but is homework-like, so I thought it best fit in this category.

2. Relevant equations

I am trying to find the indefinite integral of:

[tex]F(x,y)=\int \int e^{-k_1x^2-k_2y^2+k_3xy} dx dy [/tex]

[tex] k_1, k_2, k_3 [/tex] are constants

3. The attempt at a solution

I realize that the solution involves the error function. When I reduce it to:

[tex]F(x,y)=\int e^{-k_2 y^2} dy \int e^{-k_1x^2+k_3xy} dx [/tex]

I am not sure how to treat the terms in the dx integral.

When I ask WolphramAlpha, it tells me:

[tex] \int e^{-k_1 x^2+k_3xy} = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}exp(\frac{k_3^2y^2}{4k_1})}{2 \sqrt {k_1}}erf\left( \frac{2k_1x-k_3y}{2\sqrt{k_1}}\right )+c [/tex]

but I'm not sure how they got this and I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I haven't been able to find a good erf integral table. Can you offer a suggestion on a way to solve this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

[tex] \int e^{-k_1 x^2+k_3xy} dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{k_1}}e^{\frac{k_3^2 y^2}{4k_1}}erf\left( \frac{2k_1x-k_3y}{2\sqrt{k_1}}\right )+C [/tex]

Making it look slightly better, may help out.

4. May 25, 2010 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd start by completing the square on [itex]-k_1x^2++k_3xy[/itex], and then using an appropriate substitution....

5. May 25, 2010 #4
    Thanks - completing the square works beautifully!

Now I am wondering where to go from here:

[tex] F(x,y)=\int \int e^{-k_1x^2-k_2y^2+k_3 xy}dx dy [/tex]

[tex] F(x,y)=\int e^{-k_2y^2} \left ( \frac{\sqrt \pi}{2 \sqrt{k_1}} e^{\frac{k_3^2y^2}{4k_1}} erf \left (\frac{2k_1x-k_3y}{2\sqrt{k_1}} \right ) +c_1 \right )dy [/tex]

[tex] F(x,y)=\frac{\sqrt\pi}{2\sqrt{k_1}} \int e^{\frac{k_3^2y^2-4k_1k_2y}{4k_1}} erf \left (\frac{2k_1x-k_3y}{2\sqrt{k_1}} \right ) dy+c_1 \int e^{-k_2y^2}dy [/tex]

the second of these two integrals is just by definition, but I am struggling with the first. If I try integration by parts and let u=erf(~) and dv=exp(~)dy, then du becomes an exp(_) function and v is an erf(_)... so [itex]uv-\int vdu[/itex] doesn't do much to simplify. If I let u=exp(~) and dv=erf(~)dy, then du becomes an exp(_) function and v becomes erf(_)+exp(_)... again, not simplifying the integral.

I'm not familiar enough with the error function to know what it can and can't do, but it seems like it should be agreeable to a Gaussian in some way and simplify somehow.

Any guidance? Thanks!

6. May 26, 2010 #5
    I figured it out with integration by parts twice - thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook