Integrating the Error-function: Using Differentiation under the Integral Sign

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: But there is one big complication: ##u(x)## can't just be substituted in for the original ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha x^2}## because that would give an incorrect answer. Instead, ##u(x)## must be differentiated with respect to ##\alpha## in order to get an accurate answer.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

If you know
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha \beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi / \alpha} [/tex]
Show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \beta^2 e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}/2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integration by parts on the second integral, but to no avail. I just end up with it being equal to zero. What am I to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

If you know
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha \beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi / \alpha} [/tex]
Show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \beta^2 e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}/2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integration by parts on the second integral, but to no avail. I just end up with it being equal to zero. What am I to do?

How did you split the integrand up when you did integration by parts?

You don't really need to do integration by parts. Take the derivative with respect to ##\alpha## of both sides of your first equation. Then set ##\alpha=1##.

Dick said:
You don't really need to do integration by parts. Take the derivative with respect to ##\alpha## of both sides of your first equation. Then set ##\alpha=1##.

This is a very nice trick, and I like it a lot. But it could be Nikitin needs to work on integration by parts.

brmath said:
This is a very nice trick, and I like it a lot. But it could be Nikitin needs to work on integration by parts.

Yes, probably. It's easy enough to do that way too.

Yeah, I must've done a silly mistake when doing the integration by parts. I set the ## \beta^2 ## term as u, and the ##e^{ -\beta^2} ## term as v'.

Then, (btw, how do I put limits on the left part of a bracket in latex?)

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \beta^2 e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \left [ \beta^2 \int e^{-\beta^2} d \beta \right ]_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 2 \beta (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta ) d \beta [/tex]

If I try to insert
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

into my integration by parts expression, I will just end up with 0. Can somebody please do it properly so I can find my mistake?

PS: Sorry for late reply. Oh, and thanks for all the help and nice tips :)

Dick said:

I don't want to be a bore (I like your method), but how do you know it's possible to differentiate the term inside the integral first, instead of taking the integral first and then differentiate?

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
I don't want to be a bore (I like your method), but how do you know it's possible to differentiate the term inside the integral first, instead of taking the integral first and then differentiate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule And for your integration by parts, put ##dv=\beta e^{-\beta^2} d\beta##. What does that leave for u?

Last edited:
I don't completely understand why you'd do that?

Is the integration-by-parts expression in post #6 correct? Why can't I just insert ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}## into the expression and solve?

Nikitin said:
I don't completely understand why you'd do that?

Is the integration-by-parts expression in post #6 correct? Why can't I just insert ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}## into the expression and solve?

If you are going to set ##dv=e^{\beta^2}d\beta## then v is the INDEFINITE integral of dv. You don't apply the limits till the end. And that expression doesn't have an elementary indefinite integral. Hence my alternate suggestion.

Likes 1 person
Nikitin said:
Yeah, I must've done a silly mistake when doing the integration by parts. I set the ## \beta^2 ## term as u, and the ##e^{ -\beta^2} ## term as v'.

Then, (btw, how do I put limits on the left part of a bracket in latex?)

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \beta^2 e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \left [ \beta^2 \int e^{-\beta^2} d \beta \right ]_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 2 \beta (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta ) d \beta [/tex]

If I try to insert
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\beta^2} d \beta = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

into my integration by parts expression, I will just end up with 0. Can somebody please do it properly so I can find my mistake?

PS: Sorry for late reply. Oh, and thanks for all the help and nice tips :)

Re taking the derivative under the integral, note that the integral is with respect to ##\beta##. For purposes of regarding ##\alpha## as the variable to differentiate against, all the ##\beta## stuff is essentially a constant.

Re integration by parts take u(x) = x and v'(x) = x##e^{-\alpha x^2}##. The new integral will pop up looking very like the one you know to be ##\sqrt {\pi /\alpha}##.

Likes 1 person
Okay, now I fully understand. I didn't think about putting v'(x) = x e^-x^2, as I wasn't aware of
You don't apply the limits till the end. And that expression doesn't have an elementary indefinite integral.

Now everything is clear. Thanks guys!

Getting back to Dick's method in response #3, I think what your textbook is trying to teach you is the technique of "differentiation under the integral sign." I think this is how the book intended for you to solve the problem.

What is the error-function integral?

The error-function integral, also known as the Gauss error function, is a mathematical function that is commonly used in statistics and probability theory. It is defined as the integral of the Gaussian function from 0 to a given value.

What is the purpose of the error-function integral?

The error-function integral is used to calculate the probability of a normally distributed random variable falling within a certain range of values. It is also used in the process of curve fitting to determine the best fit for a given set of data points.

What is the relationship between the error-function integral and the normal distribution?

The error-function integral is closely related to the normal distribution, also known as the Gaussian distribution. The integral is used to calculate the cumulative probability of a normally distributed random variable, while the normal distribution is used to describe the probability distribution of a population or sample.

How is the error-function integral calculated?

The error-function integral is typically calculated using numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller segments and approximating the area under the curve. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using specialized software or tables of values.

What are some real-world applications of the error-function integral?

The error-function integral has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze data in fields such as signal processing, image and pattern recognition, and option pricing. It is also used in the calculation of error rates in communication systems and to study the behavior of Brownian motion in physics.