Error Function and the Fresnal integral

In summary, Dick showed that the error function erf(x) and the Fresnal integral are odd functions by proving that they are integrals of even functions.
Bachelier
How do we prove that the error function erf(x) and the Fresnal integral are odd functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
How do we prove that the error function erf(x) and the Fresnal integral are odd functions?

By using the definition of each one. They are all integrals of some even function from 0 to x. Isn't that always odd?

OK, let me ask the question is a different way: [tex]{erf}(x)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]

How do I prove that?
[tex]{erf}(-x) = - {erf}(x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, let me pose the solution in a different way. f(t) is even, like e^(-t^2), i.e. f(-t)=f(t). Let F(x)=integral f(t)*dt from 0 to x. Do a change of variable from t to u=(-t). What happens? Don't you get F(x)=(-F(-x))? Isn't that odd?

Thanks Dick.

After deep thought, I think I got it now. I was missing one piece of information. I didn't know that the integral of an even function on 0 to infinity is an odd function.

I am going to explain my understanding below and please correct me if I am wrong, thanks in advance. :)

[tex]\int_0^x f(t) dt = F(x) - F(0)[/tex]

Based on the fundamental theorem of calculus.

F(0) = 0

so we have now:

[tex]\int_0^x f(t) dt = F(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^x f(t) dt = -(-F(x))[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^x f(t) dt =-(F(-x))[/tex]

[tex]F(-x) = - \int_0^x f(t) dt [/tex]

What do you think chief?

No offence, but I think that's crap. How did F(x) become -F(-x)?? You just assumed what you want to prove. You have to prove something, not just slide stuff around. Like I said, use the substitution u=(-t). F(x)=integral f(t) from 0 to x. Do the substitution. I promise you, if you actually work through this you will understand it, if you don't you won't.

Last edited:
[tex]{Erf}(x)\equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi }}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} \, dt[/tex]

[tex]\text{Let} t\to -u s.t d (-u)=-\text{du}=\text{dt}[/tex]

[tex]u_2=-t_2=-(-x)=x;[/tex]
[tex]u_1=-t_1=0;[/tex]

[tex]\text{Erf}(-x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi }}\int_0^x e^{-(-u)^2} \, d(-u)[/tex]
[tex]\text{Erf}(-x)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi }}\int_0^x e^{-u^2} \, du[/tex]

[tex]i.e \text{Erf}(-x)=-\text{Erf}(x) \text{by} \text{defn}.[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you. You both cleared up things for me real good.

Well appreciated. :smile:

1. What is the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral?

The Error Function and the Fresnel Integral are mathematical functions that are used to model and calculate the probability of error in various fields, such as statistics and telecommunications. They are also used to solve problems related to wave propagation and diffraction.

2. How are the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral related?

The Error Function is defined as the integral of the Gaussian distribution function, while the Fresnel Integral is a special case of the Error Function that is used to calculate the amplitude of a wave after it has passed through a slit. Therefore, the Fresnel Integral is a specific form of the Error Function.

3. What are the applications of the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral?

The Error Function and the Fresnel Integral have a wide range of applications in various fields, including statistics, telecommunications, optics, and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems related to probability of error, wave propagation, diffraction, and more.

4. How are the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral calculated?

The Error Function and the Fresnel Integral can be calculated using various methods, such as numerical integration, series expansion, or using specialized software programs. The most commonly used method is numerical integration, which involves approximating the integral using numerical techniques.

5. What are some real-life examples of the use of the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral?

The Error Function and the Fresnel Integral are used in a wide range of real-life applications. For example, in telecommunications, they are used to calculate the probability of error in a signal transmission. In optics, they are used to model the diffraction of light through small openings. In statistics, they are used to calculate the probability of a measurement falling within a certain range. These are just a few examples of the many practical uses of the Error Function and the Fresnel Integral.