Error in Bel's 1958 Article: Correcting Lanczos Formula

In summary, the equation mentioned reads : Rαβλμ Rαβλρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρNow multiply out by gμρ on both sides and elevate the μ index on the LHS, we would end up having :Rαβλεgμε Rαβλρgμρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ gμρThis becomes :Rαβλεδερ Rαβλρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ gμρwhich leads to
zn5252
hey all,
in this link :http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k7258/f122.image

The equation 2b is not correct I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Here we go :
The equation mentioned reads : Rαβλμ Rαβλρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ
Now multiply out by gμρ on both sides and elevate the μ index on the LHS, we would end up having :
Rαβλεgμε Rαβλρgμρ =
2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ gμρ
This becomes :
Rαβλεδερ Rαβλρ =
2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ gμρ
which leads to :
RαβλρRαβλρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ gμρ gμρ
On the RHS, do we agree that the indices on the g's are not to be summed over since they are fixed ones ? This means that the product of the g's is 1 (if they were summation indices, we would get 4 and not 1) , which results in :
RαβλρRαβλρ = 2 * 1/8 * Rαβλμ Rαβλμ
But THIS IS WRONG ! the μ on the LHS of the equation should not be the same μ as on the RHS since it is a fixed index I believe.
thank you,
Cheers,
PS: I have seen the referenced Lanczos paper but there is no way you can tell how Bel ended up with that one !
PS: Here :http://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.3168v4
in the first paragraph, the author is referring to another variant of the Lanczos formula ! and this is correct I think

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the RHS he says 2 A gμν where A = (1/8) Rαβλμ Rαβλμ. Well, before substituting A into the RHS, one must change the indices so that μ does not appear 3 times! So let A = (1/8) Rαβλσ Rαβλσ instead.

I see . But do you agree then that the product of the g's is 4 in order for the equation to be correct? the indices on the g's are summation indices ? but if this is so, then why on the LHS we can see them unrepeated. I would have thought that they were fixed ones.
sorry for my confusion with the index gymnastics...

Last edited:
Yes, gμρgμρ is δμμ, the trace of the Kronecker delta, which is the dimensionality N, that is 4 in 4 dimensions.

Indeed. I'm realizing now that when we multiplied the LHS by the gμρ , the indices become repeated and lose their 'fixation' so to speak...the g gives degrees of freedom to the indices somehow...
Now I can sleep at night and so does professor Bel happilly in his tomb...

The link that I had provided above interestingly provides an answer to the question 15.2 in chapter 15 of the Book gravitation by MTW which concerns the derivative of the Bel Tensor...
It took me so many days for this challenging yet rich and illuminating Ex!

What is the significance of Bel's 1958 article?

Bel's 1958 article is important because it introduced the Lanczos formula, which is a mathematical method used to approximate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. This formula has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is the error in Bel's 1958 article?

The error in Bel's 1958 article is a mistake in the derivation of the Lanczos formula, specifically in the calculation of the coefficients for the polynomial used in the formula. This mistake leads to inaccurate results and has been corrected in subsequent publications.

How was the error in Bel's 1958 article discovered?

The error in Bel's 1958 article was discovered by mathematician Cornelius Lanczos, who noted discrepancies between the results obtained using Bel's formula and the results obtained using his own method. Upon further investigation, Lanczos found the mistake in Bel's derivation.

Has the error in Bel's 1958 article been corrected?

Yes, the error in Bel's 1958 article has been corrected in subsequent publications. Lanczos himself published a corrected version of the Lanczos formula in 1961, and since then, many other researchers have published their own corrections and improvements to the formula.

What is the impact of the error in Bel's 1958 article?

The error in Bel's 1958 article has not had a significant impact on the use of the Lanczos formula, as it was quickly corrected and subsequent publications have provided more accurate versions of the formula. However, it serves as a reminder to always thoroughly check and verify mathematical derivations and results before publishing.