1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error in Goldstein?

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have the third edition of Goldstein which I have been using to learn mechanics. I believe I have found an error in the book, however normally when I feel such things I tend to either be misreading the situation or misunderstanding the concept. I checked Professor Safko's site on Goldstein corrections but it made no mention of the error I believe I caught. Also, I am not sure what printing of the edition I have. The method for ascertaining the printing edition on the professor's site does not seem to apply to the book I have, but again it is possible that I am missing something obvious. However, since Professor Safko's site was last updated in 2010, and I very recently bought the book, I thought perhaps I have a more recent printing than those presented on Dr. Safko's site.

That said, here's the issue. Beginning on pg. 47 in my book, the first two paragraphs state:

My objection to this is the book's definition of cos theta. It appears to me that based on what has been written cos theta should be z/a. Am I wrong in this? I don't think so, because the calculation directly following this seems to coincide with the way I'm thinking about it. Please let me know if I'm off base here.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##cos(\theta)=\frac{z}{a}##, indeed.
    Probably some weird typo, if the calculation afterwards is correct.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not only is [itex]\cos\theta \ne x/z[/itex] but [itex]a - \sqrt{x^2-z^2} \ne 0[/itex]. In fact [itex]\sqrt{x^2-z^2}[/itex] is not real for [itex]\theta<\pi/4[/itex]

AM

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4
    Thanks, that clears things up for me.

Also, the - in the square root was my fault. It should have read +.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook