Converting Error in Log2 Form for Arbitrary Base

In summary, the person was seeking help with converting error in log2 form. They were able to figure it out for log10 using the formula 0.434(deltax/x), but needed help remembering how to do it for an arbitrary base. They then figured it out, with the help of the formula (1/ln(2))(deltax/x).
dipluso
Hi,

I am trying to represent my data in log2 form rather than "fold change" and I am embarrassed to say I can't remember how convert the error.

For example, I have x=3.96 (mean), deltax=0.28 (standard dev).

Thus, log2(x)=0.598.

But how do I convert the error??

I know how to do it for log10: 0.434(deltax/x) but I can't for the life of me remember how to derive it for an arbitrary base.

Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Duh, figured it out.

For y=ln(x), error dy=dx/x

since lob(x) base b = ln(x)/ln(b)

Then for y=lob(x) base b , error is dy=(1/ln(2))(deltax/x)

Done. Cheers, -Alex

1. What is error propagation in log base 2?

Error propagation in log base 2 is a method used to calculate the uncertainty or error in a logarithmic function with a base of 2. It involves using the rules of logarithms to determine the error in the input values and then propagating that error through the logarithmic function to determine the overall error in the final result.

2. Why is error propagation important in log base 2?

Error propagation is important in log base 2 because it allows us to estimate the uncertainty or margin of error in our calculations. This is crucial in scientific experiments or studies, where even a small error can have significant impacts on the results and conclusions.

3. How is error propagation in log base 2 different from other methods?

Error propagation in log base 2 is different from other methods because it takes into account the specific rules and properties of logarithms with a base of 2. This allows for a more accurate estimation of error, as compared to using other general error propagation methods.

4. Can error propagation in log base 2 be used for any logarithmic function?

Yes, error propagation in log base 2 can be used for any logarithmic function as long as the base is 2. However, different bases may have different rules and properties, so the error propagation method may vary accordingly.

5. How can error propagation in log base 2 be applied in real-world scenarios?

Error propagation in log base 2 can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in data analysis, experimental measurements, and financial calculations. It can help in determining the uncertainty in results and making decisions based on that uncertainty.