1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error propagation problem

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,

I have the following operation that I want to perform:

[tex] f=\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}*K[/tex]
    [itex] \bar{X} [/itex] and [itex] \bar{Y} [/itex] are averages with variances [itex] S_{X}^2 [/itex] and [itex] S_{Y_j}^2 [/itex] and [itex] K [/itex] is a constant.

How will the error propagate?

2. Relevant equations
    According to Wikipedia:
    (1) [itex] f=a\bar{A} \Rightarrow S_f^2=a^2S_f^2[/itex] where [itex] a [/itex] is a constant.
    (2) [itex] f=\bar{A}\bar{B} \Rightarrow S_f^2=S_A^2+S_B^2[/itex]
    (3) [itex] f=\frac{\bar{A}}{\bar{B}} \Rightarrow S_f^2=f^2\left(\frac{S_A^2}{A^2}+\frac{S_B^2}{B^2}\right) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So then the error of the nominator will be [itex]S_{X}^2[/itex]
    Only looking at the denominator i will have: [itex]100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2[/itex]
    Using the third and first equation will then yield:

[tex] S_f^2=f^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

Where [itex] K^2 [/itex] comes from the first equation.

I am a little bit confused though. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Edit: Covariance=0

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it is not correct: the squared error in ##100 - \sum Y_j## is not ##100 - \sum S_{Y_j}^2##. For one thing, the '100' is a constant that has no error; for another thing, the ##Y_i## squared errors should not be subtracted from anything.

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your answer. Would this be correct?

[tex] S_f^2=f^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

Thanks.

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4
    To answer my own question:

[tex] S_f^2=\left(\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}\right)^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

It should be clarified that K is an exakt number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted