1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error Propagation Question

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    My goal is to find the uncertainty [itex]δd[/itex] in the following equation.

[itex]d=C_1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}} \frac{1}{D}[/itex]

• [itex]C_1[/itex] is the collection of constants [itex]\frac{2Lhc}{\sqrt{2m_e c^2 }}[/itex]
    • [itex]D[/itex] is a value measured in meters with an uncertainty [itex]δD = 0.001 m[/itex]
    • and [itex]V[/itex] is a value measured in volts with an uncertainty [itex]δV = 100 V[/itex]

My best guess on how to calculate [itex]δd[/itex] is

[itex]\frac{δd}{d}=|C_1| \sqrt{(\frac{δV}{V})^2+(\frac{δD}{D})^2 }[/itex]
    ... then plug in all the known values and solve for [itex]δd[/itex]

...Unfortunately I have no resources to tell me if I'm doing this right. I appreciate any helpful pointers any of you may have, I'm a big time noob when it comes to error analysis.

For those of you who are curious, this is from a Bragg Scattering lab and [itex]d[/itex] represents the distance between atoms in a polycrystalline graphite crystal.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

d is inversely prop. to √(V) , not V itself.

You should have something like:
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{δd}{d}=|C_1| \sqrt{\left(\frac{δ(\sqrt{V})}{\sqrt{V}}\right)^2+\left(\frac{δD}{D} \right)^2 }[/itex]​

4. May 13, 2014 #3
    Awesome, thank you!

Quick side question: is it true that both of these equations have the same δd formula?

Equation 1. [itex]d = \sqrt{V}D[/itex]
    Equation 2. [itex]d = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}D}[/itex]

Error for either equation:
    [itex]\frac{δd}{d} = \sqrt{(\frac{δ(\sqrt{V})}{\sqrt{V}})^2 + (\frac{δD}{D})^2}[/itex]

5. May 13, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, for reasonably small relative error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted