Error Propagation: Calculating Mean of Error of Measurement

In summary, the student is struggling to understand the content of the "Error Propagation" section of an excel sheet. They are looking for information on the standard deviation of the mean, but are not sure how to calculate it. The student is also looking for advice on how to complete the sheet.
sltungle
Okay, so I have an assignment for uni and my friends and I need to work out some info to fill out an excel document, however we're not sure exactly what it is that we're looking for.

The section we're stuck on, as the title suggests, is the 'error propagation' section. Are we looking for the standard deviation OF the mean? I don't even think we've filled the 'mean' column in correctly. I'm fairly sure it wants the mean OF the error of measurement (because if it just wants the mean of the measurements we're just duplicating the results in the Calculation of Basic Statistical Quantities section), but I'm not entirely sure to be honest.

Advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a nudge in the right direction. I've attached the .xls in question so all of the relevant data is included.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Errors_Uncertainties_Graphs_1.xls
    48 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
Since they have STDEV as a separate row, I suspect they want the absolute uncertainty for the mean:

x(avg) = sum(x)/N...so if you add up all the uncertainties in quadrature, and then scale it by N, you have

uncert(avg)=(1/N)*sqrt(uncert(x1)^2+uncert(x2)^2+uncert(x3)^2...)

uncert(avg)=(1/N)*sqrt(N*uncert(x)^2)

uncert(avg)=uncert(x)/sqrt(N)

Don't forget that when you scale your numbers (as in a conversion), you scale the uncertainity as well. (y=2*x, where x=3+/-0.5...then y=6+/-1)

I've got about 10 hours until this is due in and I'm still having difficulty with it (not touched it in about a week due to it having been our mid-semester break and I didn't manage to get in contact with anyone in my group from uni).

Can somebody explain what the green table labelled 'Error Propagation' is even about (and don't answer error propagation!).

For example, what am I looking for in the first box? The mean error of the flow rate? If all of the measurements are uncertain in 0.1 L/min then how can I have a mean error? It'd just be 0.1 L/min again, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's just me, but this excel sheet seems horribly confusing. I'm sure they could have put an extra sentence or two in there that would have made the whole thing clearer to me.

Last edited:

1. What is error propagation in scientific measurements?

Error propagation is the process of determining the overall uncertainty or error in a calculated quantity based on the uncertainties or errors in the measured quantities used in the calculation. It involves combining the uncertainties using mathematical operations to determine the final uncertainty in the calculated quantity.

2. How is the mean of error of measurement calculated?

The mean of error of measurement is calculated by taking the average of the individual errors in a set of measurements. This involves adding all of the errors and dividing by the number of measurements. This provides an estimate of the overall error in the measurement.

3. What is the significance of calculating the mean of error of measurement?

Calculating the mean of error of measurement is important because it allows us to understand the overall uncertainty in our measurements. This information can be used to evaluate the reliability of our data and determine the level of confidence we have in our results.

4. How does error propagation affect the accuracy of scientific data?

Error propagation can affect the accuracy of scientific data by increasing the uncertainty or error in a calculated quantity. This can lead to a larger margin of error in the final result and reduce the precision of the data. It is important to minimize error propagation by accurately measuring and reducing uncertainties in the initial measurements.

5. Can error propagation be avoided in scientific measurements?

Error propagation cannot be completely avoided, as there will always be some level of uncertainty in scientific measurements. However, it can be minimized by using precise and accurate instruments, taking multiple measurements, and carefully considering and reducing uncertainties in the measurement process.