Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error question

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1

can someone explain me the relation between the degree of a taylor series (TS) and the error. It is for my class of numerical method, and I do not find a response to my question in my textbook.

I mean when we have a function Q with two variables x and y,and we use a version of TS to calculate the error of Q by doing:

∆ (Q(x,y))= (∂Q/∂x )*∆x + (∂Q/∂y )*∆y (1st order)

We want to compare the error of each term to know which is greater (the one in x or that in y.) or which one I need to measure with more precision.

I dont know if I am clear enough.

For example, if I have for the x term a degree of -2 and for y term a degree of -.5 after finding ∆ (Q(x,y)), considering the error which error is greater?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2
    The best thing would be to calculate the exact value, and compare that to the approximation.

As far as an analytical solution, just calculate the next largest terms:

[tex]\Delta Q = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} \Delta x + \frac{\partial Q}{\partial y} \Delta Y + \frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial x^2} (\Delta x )^2 + \frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial y^2} (\Delta y)^2 +\frac{\partial^2 Q}{\partial x \partial y} \Delta x \Delta y[/tex]

Compare the delta x squared term to the corresponding y term. Use the mixed term to calculate the whole thing to second order, then compare that to your first order approx.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?