1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Errors in experimantal physics- how to combine st err of mean and apparatus uncertai.

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    Hi all!

I'm currently doing an experiment using a compound pendulum trying to determine the value of g.

I have a problem with my uncertainties:

Error in period T:
    The period is measured with the use of a photo-gate of accuracy +/- 0.0001s.
    For each height i did 20 measurements from which i calculated average period and from the standard deviation I have the standard error of mean. However due to the fact that I made so many measurements the standard error of mean sometimes appears to be smaller than the actual precision of the photo-gate (for example +/- 0.00007s). What should I do in this case? I'm guessing I somehow need to combine these uncertainties?

I have another question concerning the heights.
    I firstly had to measure the length of the whole pendulum to find the centre of mass being in the middle. Then I mark the center of mass and measure different heights up to the edge of clamp (this all using a meter stick). Then I measure the distance between edge of clamp and axis of rotation using vernier caliper.
    Overall I guess it goes like this (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Uncertainty of meter stick (with the help of magnifying glass) is 1/3mm so +/- 0,3mm.
    And since I use this uncertainty twice (not sure if center of mass is exactly where marked) AND then when measuring distance to edge of clamp -this gives me +/- 0,6mm and I need to combine this with the uncertainty in the distance on clamp which is +/-0,05mm. So it is sqrt(0,6^2+0,05^2)?
    Thank you in advance for all the help.
    PS. If you're not sure please don't reply as I don't want to get more confused than I am.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Re: Errors in experimantal physics- how to combine st err of mean and apparatus uncer

Using the propagation of errors you have [tex]\sigma _g^2=\frac{16 \pi ^4 \sigma _L^2}{T^4}+\frac{64 L^2 \pi ^4
    \sigma _T^2}{T^6}[/tex] where all of the sigma terms are standard deviations, not standard errors.

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Re: Errors in experimantal physics- how to combine st err of mean and apparatus uncer

Sorry, but I don't understand how this helps me. I thought I explained what I'm doing quite clearly. I need to know what my error for the periods and heights will be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?