1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Erwin kreyszig vs mary l boas

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    Which text book explain concepts with more intuition and in comprehensive manner for engineering students?
    Advance engineering mathematics by Erwin kreysizg
    Or
    Mathematical methods in physical science by Mary l. Boas.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kreysig is more mathematically oriented and the problems use hardly any physical examples. Boas uses many more examples from physical science to illustrate how to use various mathematical techniques.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    What about content, i mean which covers a wide area of subject?

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I have an edition of Kreyszig from the early 70's but I don't have Boas's book, so I can't give a comparison. Even so, I don't think you could go wrong with Kreyszig's book.

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kreysig starts off with vectors and linear algebra, IIRC, then moves into differential and integral vector calculus, covering multiple integrals and the basic vector calculus theorems like Green and Stokes. Complex variables and their calculus are also covered, with topics like the residue theorem and conformal mapping getting some attention. Kreysig covers a few elementary topics for things like harmonic functions, but to no great depth as I recall. There is some refresher treatment for ODEs and a start at PDEs. I think some of the later editions might cover an introduction to topics like finite elements, but I can't say for certain. I believe I have the 6th (red cover) and seventh (tan cover) editions from the 1970s and a later (perhaps ninth or tenth edition) from the 1990s. The two earlier editions are very similar, while the more recent edition was overhauled quite a bit in terms of content and organization.

7. Oct 22, 2013 #6
    What about Mary l boas? I think she's trying explain fundamental concepts with more intuition while kreysig covers wider range in a depth but with less implementation of how to use it concept in practical

8. Oct 22, 2013 #7
    I don't have them on hand so I can't remember exactly how the content compares, but I've used both books at various times and I was happy with them both. If you can afford it, they're probably both worth getting. I personally find I learn math best when I can bounce back and forth between the perspectives of a few good authors.

9. Nov 20, 2013 #8
    Boas is much more better than kreysizg. Last time during my degree, kreysizg was used for my engineering course. Engineering Maths is very hard compare to calculus. The advanced engineering maths by kreysizg did'nt help much in my study and understanding. Boas is very different. Even though I already graduated, I am still self-studying Physics using Boas. It covers much more topics than kreysizg and the explanation by Boas is very good.

10. Nov 20, 2013 #9
    Looking at my copy of boas, it covers:
    Infinite Series
    Complex Numbers
    Linear Algebra
    Multivariate Calculus (Derivatives and integration)
    Vector analysis
    Fourier Series/Transforms
    ODE's
    Calculus of Variations
    Tensor Analysis
    Special Functions
    Series solutions of diff eqns using special functions
    PDE's
    Complex analysis (residues, conformal mapping, etc.)
    Probablility

11. Nov 20, 2013 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please note that her chapter on Calculus of Variation alone is worth the price of the book!

Zz.

12. Nov 20, 2013 #11
    I'm looking at Kreyszig as I write this since our class is using it. I prefer another book that I checked out from our library. Kreyszig is a bit more theoretical, but as an engineer, I want concepts reinforced with many more concrete examples. If Boas offers more examples, then I'd go with that personally. I'd much prefer an engineering math textbook to have something like Gauss' divergence theorem stated and followed by many physical examples. We should leave the proofs to pure mathematics textbooks, math classes, and mathematicians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted