Escape from totally closed empty room

In summary, there is a question about how physics can help someone escape from a completely closed empty room with no doors or windows. Some suggest using quantum tunneling or running into the wall repeatedly, while others joke about mathematicians, physicists, and engineers finding a way out. However, it is pointed out that this is not a practical or realistic scenario and that dead people cannot escape. Overall, there is no definitive answer and the conversation turns into a series of jokes.
Enya25
Hi guys! I have one question that bothers me for reeeeally long time (and it's NOT homework! :-) I found one question which goes like this "How can physics help you escape from a totally closed empty room?" Of course it means that room doesn't have any doors or windows, it would be too easy to answer it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Enya25 said:
Hi guys! I have one question that bothers me for reeeeally long time (and it's NOT homework! :-) I found one question which goes like this "How can physics help you escape from a totally closed empty room?" Of course it means that room doesn't have any doors or windows, it would be too easy to answer it...

Physics cannot help here, but math can: Define the inside of the room as the outside. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104076&p=869356"

Last edited by a moderator:
If the room is empty, then you're not inside it.

quantum tunneling, or i heard another question like how can you get to the other side of the room and there is nothing in the room , to get to the other side you take your clothes off and push them away from you.

C 4..lots of C 4

Likes Spinnor
cragar said:
quantum tunneling

That's what I was thinking. Just run headlong into the wall repeatedly. There is an infinitesimal but finite possibility you'll appear on the other side.

And if you try that experiment, please post it on youtube. Thanks.

Jack21222 said:
That's what I was thinking. Just run headlong into the wall repeatedly. There is an infinitesimal but finite possibility you'll appear on the other side.
The possibility is zero =) wave function collapses...

A.T. said:
Physics cannot help here, but math can: Define the inside of the room as the outside. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104076&p=869356"

This reminds me of a joke. A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer are at a farm and the farmer asks them to fence off the most amount of area using the least amound of fence. The engineer knows that the circle has the best diameter to area ratio, so he contructs a big circle. He looks smug thinking he has won when the physicist makes a fence that goes all round the earth. Then the mathematician come along and makes a tiny circle around him and says "I declare myself to be on the outside".

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Spinnor
Focus, =)) It reminds me of this one... Biologist, physicist and mathematician are traveling in Australia and suddenly this see a black sheep. Biologist says: "Look! There are black sheep in Australia!", physicist says: "No, you're wrong, there is at least one black sheep in Australia." and mathematician says: "You are both wrong, there is at least one sheep in Australia that is black at least on one side".

Likes Spinnor
Heisenberg gets pulled over by the cops for speeding and the cop says do you know
how fast you were going and Heisenberg says "no but i know where i am .

Likes Spinnor
A bunch of mathematicians and engineers are going to a mathematical engineering conferance on a train together. The engineers have all got tickets but they notice that the mathematicians have one ticket between them. They all start to laugh at how stupid mathematicians are and how they are going to get busted and fined. One mathematician runs in shouting "ticket inspector", then all of the mathematicians crowd into the loo. The inspector knocks on the door and says "tickets please", and they slide the ticket under the door. The inspector rips the ticket and shoves it back and moves on.

On the way back the engineers now have one ticket between them and they realize that the mathematicians have no tickets. They start joking and laughing again how stupid mathematicians are and how this time they are really going to get fined. The mathematician runs in again shouting "ticket inspector" so all the engineers cram into the to loo. The mathematician knocks on the door and says "tickets please"...

Likes Spinnor
Jack21222 said:
Just run headlong into the wall repeatedly. There is an infinitesimal but finite possibility you'll appear on the other side.
But just sitting around will do fine as well !
Jack21222 said:
And if you try that experiment, please post it on youtube.
Ah I see your point..

Jack21222 said:

And if you try that experiment, please post it on youtube. Thanks.

The way I understand the math is you wouldn't even need to run into the wall if you just sat long enough there is a extreamly small chance you would just appear outside the room.

Ha ha ha. Very imaginative answers. It seems that I've opened new topic for engineer-physicist-mathematician jokes :-)

Enya25 said:

Dead people can not escape.

Most of the walls I've seen are drywall. A focused punch here, a power kick there, and you've created a mess. And after all that work to wall you in! *shakes head*

Likes Spinnor
cragar said:
Heisenberg gets pulled over by the cops for speeding and the cop says do you know
how fast you were going and Heisenberg says "no but i know where i am .

:biggrin: Good one

thanks

A mathematician, an Italian, and a minister are in a room without any windows or doors. The Italian calls out "Get your ice cream, get your tutsi fruitsi ice cream". The minister says "Are those tout sheets you've got on your ice cream box?" The mathematician says I'll take one of those sheets" and he pays for it. The minister says "Being a mathematician, you should know better than to gamble." The mathematician says "So what, I have lots of money. I teach at the university so my kids can go to school for nothing". The minister says "Big deal, I'm a minister, so my kids can be good for nothing." The Italian goes back to singing out "Get your ice cream, get your tutsi fruitsi ice cream". The mathematician peruses the tout sheet and says to the Italian "What does this mean: 2837 to win in the first?" The Italian says "Oh that. You need a code book to see what it means." "Where can I get a code book?" asks the mathematician. The minister starts to preach, "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to weave." "I just happen to sell those too." said the Italian. The mathematician shoves the minister aside and tells him to shove it. Then he asks the Italian how much for the code book?" The Italian says "If you got to ask, you can't afford it." The minister is good and mad now and he charges the mathematician. But his aim is bad and he knocks the Italian down. The Italian gets up, presents an open hand to the minister and says "Pick two". The mathematician starts chasing the Italian who is chasing the minister who in turn is chasing the mathematician. Round and round the ice cream box they go until they are all out.

Niels Bohr is visited by his students at his home. They notice a horse shoe over the door, and ask him, if he is superstitious. He replies: "No, but I have been told that it works, even if you don't believe in it".

ranger mike said:
c 4..lots of c 4

ha!

1. How do you escape from a totally closed empty room?

There are several ways to try and escape from a totally closed empty room. First, check if there is a key or any other object that could open the door. If not, try to find any weaknesses in the walls or ceiling that you could use to break out. You can also try to call for help or signal for attention through the ventilation system. Lastly, if you have any tools or sharp objects, you can try to pick the lock on the door.

2. What should I do if there is no way to open the door?

If you are unable to open the door or find any weaknesses in the walls, try to remain calm and assess your surroundings. Look for potential tools or objects that you can use to break through the door or create a hole in the wall. You can also try to find a way to communicate with someone outside for help.

3. How can I escape if there are no windows or ventilation systems?

If there are no windows or ventilation systems in the room, your best option is to try and break through the door or walls. Look for any objects that you can use to create a hole or weaken the structure of the door or walls. Additionally, try to make noise or call for help to attract attention from outside.

4. Is it possible to escape from a totally closed empty room with no tools?

While it may be more difficult, it is still possible to escape from a totally closed empty room without any tools. Look for any loose objects or items in the room that you can use to break through the door or walls. You can also try to create makeshift tools using items such as clothing or furniture.

5. What should I do if I am unable to escape from the room?

If you are unable to escape from the room, try to stay calm and conserve your energy. Look for any potential sources of food and water to sustain yourself until help arrives. Use any objects that you can find to create a makeshift shelter or signal for attention. Remember to stay positive and continue to try and find a way to escape.