Escape speed Mechanical Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum mechanical energy needed to change the orbit of a satellite from one radius to another. The formula for orbital speed is given and it is determined that the kinetic energy decreases as the satellite moves to a higher orbit, but there is also an increase in potential energy to consider. The correct method is to calculate the total orbital energy and find the difference between the two orbits.
jamesbiomed

Homework Statement

Ok, this really IS my last question here.

Again, I have a fairly close answer that isn't right.

A 1630-kg communications satellite is released from a space shuttle to initially orbit the Earth at a radius of 9. 106 m. After being deployed, the satellite's rockets are fired to put it into a higher altitude orbit of radius 3. 107 m. What is the minimum mechanical energy supplied by the rockets to effect this change in orbit?

Homework Equations

Minimum Escape Speed:
V=sqrt(2GM/R)
G=6.67*10^-11
M=5.97*10^24

R should be the radius in whatever case. (It's the radius of the orbit so it is indeed the distance to Earth's center)

KE=1/2 m v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged both radius's into two separate eq'ns

And got

Vi=sqrt(2GM/Ri)=9406.84
Vf=sqrt(2GM/Rf)=5152.339

Then I put on my thinking cap and decided (Vi+Vf)/2 would give me the average velocity needed.

Then plugged into 1/2 mv^2 and got 4.30 e10 J

the correct answer is 2.53 e 10 J so I think my scope/basic methods are correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
You've forgotten an important type of energy.

Check this formula: V=sqrt(2GM/R)

You titled this "Escape speed" and mention escape speed in the text but this problem has nothing to do with escape speed because the object stays in orbit. There is, of course, a increase in potential energt but, if I am not mistaken, the speed necessary to orbit at a greater height is less so there will be a decrease in kinetic energy. (Ah, while I was typing this, TSny gave the formula for orbital speed.)

You mean as in E=1/2 m v^2- GMm/Re+h?

I thought kinetic meant mechanical-my fault.

So I'm going to try the average kinetic energy minus the difference in potential energy

TSny said:
Check this formula: V=sqrt(2GM/R)

HallsofIvy said:
You titled this "Escape speed" and mention escape speed in the text but this problem has nothing to do with escape speed because the object stays in orbit. There is, of course, a increase in potential energt but, if I am not mistaken, the speed necessary to orbit at a greater height is less so there will be a decrease in kinetic energy. (Ah, while I was typing this, TSny gave the formula for orbital speed.)

Sorry, didn't see either of these before I posted most recently===

TSny was telling me to check that formula, I think, because it is the one for escape speed.

Is orbital speed sqrt (GM/R)?

My book honestly doesn't have an orbital formula.

Yes, now you have the correct formula for the speed while in a circular orbit. Note that the speed will decrease in going to a larger orbit. So, the kinetic energy will decrease. But you'll also need to consider the potential energy. You don't need to write the radius as Re + h since they give you the radius of the orbit directly.

jamesbiomed said:
Is orbital speed sqrt (GM/R)?

My book honestly doesn't have an orbital formula.

You can easily derive this formula from F = ma for circular motion where F is the force of gravity and a = v2/R for centripetal acceleration.

TSny said:
You can easily derive this formula from F = ma for circular motion where F is the force of gravity and a = v2/R for centripetal acceleration.

Oh I see, thank you

The value I'm getting for KE is very, very small. Subtracting the values for PE and dividing by two got my the correct answer on a practice

Basically, that's given me a lucky guess and it doesn't hold up. But the values I'm getting are normally about twice where they should be

Total orbital energy E = KE + PE. What is the change in total orbital energy as you go from the smaller orbit to the larger orbit? Where does the gain in energy come from?

1. What is escape speed and how is it calculated?

Escape speed is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or moon. It is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the massive body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object's starting point.

2. How does escape speed relate to mechanical energy?

Escape speed is directly related to the mechanical energy of an object. In order for an object to reach escape speed, it must have enough kinetic energy to overcome the gravitational potential energy of the massive body. This means that the mechanical energy of the object must be equal to or greater than zero at escape speed.

3. Can escape speed be exceeded?

Technically, yes, escape speed can be exceeded. However, in order for an object to truly escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, it must reach escape velocity, which is the speed at which the object's kinetic energy is equal to its total mechanical energy. This is only achievable in the absence of external forces, which is not the case in most scenarios.

4. How does escape speed vary on different planets?

The escape speed on a planet or moon is dependent on its mass and radius. Generally, the larger and more massive a body is, the higher its escape speed will be. For example, the escape speed on Earth is about 11.2 km/s, while on the moon it is only about 2.4 km/s.

5. Is escape speed affected by the shape of a planet?

No, the shape of a planet does not affect its escape speed. This is because the escape speed is determined by the mass and radius of the planet, not its shape. However, the shape of a planet may affect the distribution of its mass and therefore its gravitational pull on an object, which can indirectly impact the escape speed.