Escape the Horizon: Can I Pull My Friend Back?

In summary, if you extend a tether into a black hole, your friend will most likely be pulled in, and you will most likely be pulled in too.
RandyD123
Suppose I extend a tether into a BH horizon. My spaceship is on the outside and my friend is on the end of a very long tether and crosses the event horizon...can I pull him back?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, for two reasons I can think of:
1) The force required to accelerate them back past the event horizon would be infinite.
2) You as outside observer actually would never be able see them cross the event horizon in the first place; they would seem to get closer and closer to the event horizon but never actually reach it because even light from them would have a difficult time reaching any outside observers.

Just to add to Dalespam's link, which discusses the Rindler horizon, it is worth noting that for a small region, a BH horizon is mathematically and physically equivalent to Rindler horizon. This makes Dalespam's link precisely on target for the OP.

To add to the above, it may depend on what you mean by "pull him back". You could pull him back to the ship, but by the time this happens, it would necessitate that the ship is below the event horizon.

stedwards said:
To add to the above, it may depend on what you mean by "pull him back". You could pull him back to the ship, but by the time this happens, it would necessitate that the ship is below the event horizon.
Yes, that is a valid possibility, if you assure that the rocket does not accelerate so as to break the rope.

Well beyond my understanding but it is fascinating to think of it!

PAllen said:
Yes, that is a valid possibility, if you assure that the rocket does not accelerate so as to break the rope.

That does bring up an interesting point. Tugging on one end of the rope cannot propagate to the other end faster than c. I'm curious if this implies a maximum tension of some sort?

stedwards said:
That does bring up an interesting point. Tugging on one end of the rope cannot propagate to the other end faster than c. I'm curious if this implies a maximum tension of some sort?
As with many of these types of thought experiments, it implies the rocket has to know how to move to avoid breaking the rope. Similar to Born rigid acceleration.

[edit: actually, I think it is not so hard. If the rocket adjusts its accleration and pull on the rope so as never to approach the local breaking point near the rocket, while the other end is in free fall, I believe that will suffice. However, I have not done any math to validate this.The idea is simply that local physics in a free fall frame must be the same as SR. Thus, if the rocket acts consistent with pulling in a hanging object in an empty region, then expressing this relative to this local free fall frame should produce the same effect. As you noted, a consequence is that the the rocket must allow itself to cross the horizon to pull up the object.]

Last edited:
I guess that I'm thinking that obviously there is a point of no return. But that to me suggest a "hard" line. If I just put a finger over that line, does that mean I can't ever come back? The rest of me is on the "good" side and only a finger has crossed over.

Well you've got a short time to decide - cut the finger off or follow it. A very short time - actually I suspect you must decide before the finger has crossed, and certainly before you see it crossing - by that time it is too late, you are inside already.

But if light cannot escape from the event horizon then you would never see it cross to begin with.

RandyD123 said:
Suppose I extend a tether into a BH horizon. My spaceship is on the outside and my friend is on the end of a very long tether and crosses the event horizon...can I pull him back?
It's far more likely that instead of the tether attached to your friend pulling him out, it would result in you being pulled in.

It is not just more likely - there are only two possible outcomes : you can cut your friend loose, or follow him in. There is no scenario where you can pull him out. Black holes have strict rules about horizon trespassers, and they never joke about applying the rules.

paisiello2 said:
But if light cannot escape from the event horizon then you would never see it cross to begin with.
You can't both see it and stay outside. You must cut your finger off before you see it cross the horizon - if you don't you will see it. But you will be inside then.

Or better, don't let your finger go past the horizon.

wabbit said:
It is not just more likely - there are only two possible outcomes : you can cut your friend loose, or follow him in. There is no scenario where you can pull him out. Black holes have strict rules about horizon trespassers, and they never joke about applying the rules.
True, but if you are yourself falling into a different black hole it gets interesting.
That tether has to be made of pretty strong stuff though.

Last edited:

1. How does "Escape the Horizon" work?

"Escape the Horizon" is a collaborative virtual reality game where players must work together to escape a deserted island. Through a series of challenges and puzzles, players must use their problem-solving skills to find a way off the island.

2. Can I play "Escape the Horizon" with my friends?

Yes, "Escape the Horizon" is designed for multiple players to work together. You and your friends can team up and play the game together in the same virtual reality environment.

3. Is it possible to pull my friend back if they get stuck in the game?

Yes, there are mechanisms in place within the game for players to assist and pull their friends back if they are struggling with a particular challenge. Collaboration and communication are key in successfully escaping the island.

4. How long does it take to complete "Escape the Horizon"?

The length of the game can vary depending on the players' problem-solving skills and ability to work together. On average, it takes around 1-2 hours to complete the game.

5. Is "Escape the Horizon" suitable for all ages?

While the game does not contain any explicit content, it is recommended for players aged 13 and above due to the complexity of the challenges and the use of virtual reality technology. However, younger players can still participate with the help and guidance of older players.