What is the formula for calculating delta v for escape velocity?

In summary, to accelerate into a hyperbolic orbit with a desired velocity of 1 km/s at infinity, you would need to apply an additional 1 km/s of delta v in the prograde direction. The formula for escape velocity is circular velocity * sqrt{2}, and to calculate the required velocity, you would use vrequired = \sqrt{vescape^2 + vinfinity^2}. The root function for square root is \sqrt{n} and the radical sign is placed over n in TEX format. The formula provided by Janus in the conversation works for this scenario.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's say I have an object orbiting the Sun in a circular orbit with an orbital velocity of 30 km/s. If I want to accelerate prograde into a hyperbolic orbit, and I'd like my velocity relative to the Sun to be 1 km/s at infinity, what is the formula I'd use to figure out how much delta v in the prograde direction I'd have to apply? I believe the formula for escape velocity is [itex]circular velocity * sqrt{2}[/itex], but I want to know how much further I must accelerate to have 1 km/s of extra velocity when the rocket has distanced itself from the Sun.

Also, how do I get the root symbol in the tex tags?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You would have to accelerate 1 km/sec more.

The root function for squareroot is \sqrt{n} the radical sign will be placed over n like this:
[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

or
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R}}[/tex]

Never mind... I figured it out. :wink:
[tex]vescape = \sqrt{2}*vcircular[/tex]
[tex]vrequired = \sqrt{vescape^2 + vinfinity^2}[/tex]

edit... to change to TEX format. I love these TEX things. Thanks Janus.

Last edited:
Janus said:
You would have to accelerate 1 km/sec more.
I must have been typing while you were posting.
That was my original guess, but it didn't work. The formula in the above post works though. Thanks, Janus.

BTW... Is your name in reference to Saturn's moon? That's a cool moon as it shares a horseshoe orbit with Epimetheus.

Last edited:

What is the Escape Velocity Formula?

The Escape Velocity Formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the minimum speed an object needs to achieve in order to break free from the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or moon.

What are the variables in the Escape Velocity Formula?

The variables in the Escape Velocity Formula are the mass of the larger object (M), the distance from the center of the larger object to the smaller object (r), and the gravitational constant (G).

How is the Escape Velocity Formula calculated?

The Escape Velocity Formula is calculated as follows: V = √(2GM/r), where V is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance from the center of the larger object to the smaller object.

What are the units used in the Escape Velocity Formula?

The units used in the Escape Velocity Formula are meters per second (m/s) for velocity, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters (m) for distance. The gravitational constant (G) is measured in cubic meters per kilogram per second squared (m³/kg/s²).

Can the Escape Velocity Formula be used for any object?

The Escape Velocity Formula can be used for any object that is trying to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object. However, it is most commonly used for objects in space, such as rockets or satellites, attempting to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or moon.