Escape Velocity Calculation for a Spaceship in Space

In summary: Thanks for your help! :DIn summary, the escape speed of a spaceship fired in space, far away from Earth but at the same distance from the sun as the Earth can be calculated using the equation Ve = (2GM/r)^0.5, where M is the mass of the sun and r is the distance between the sun and the spaceship, which can be assumed to be the same as the distance between the sun and Earth (approximately 150,000,000 km).
athymy

Homework Statement

What is the escape speed of a spaceship fired in space, far away from Earth but at the same distance from the sun as the Earth.

Homework Equations

Ve = (2GM/r)^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I don't know what the M or r is since it is fired from space... Should I just assume that the mass is the suns and for r I just add the suns radius with the distance from the Earth to the sun?

Physics news on Phys.org
athymy said:

Homework Statement

What is the escape speed of a spaceship fired in space, far away from Earth but at the same distance from the sun as the Earth.

Homework Equations

Ve = (2GM/r)^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I don't know what the M or r is since it is fired from space... Should I just assume that the mass is the sun's and for r I just add the suns radius with the distance from the Earth to the sun?
How far is Earth from the Sun ?

That's how far the spaceship is from the Sun .

SammyS said:
How far is Earth from the Sun ?

That's how far the spaceship is from the Sun .

Ahh, so Earth is approx. 150,000,000 km from the sun so is that my r value?

athymy said:
Ahh, so Earth is approx. 150,000,000 km from the sun so is that my r value?

Yes. Sure it is.

Dick said:
Yes. Sure it is.

Thanks for your help! :D

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed an object needs to achieve in order to break free from the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or moon.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the equation v = sqrt(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object's starting point.

What factors affect escape velocity?

The factors that affect escape velocity include the mass of the body and the distance from the center of the body. A larger mass or a smaller distance will result in a higher escape velocity.

Can escape velocity be achieved in space?

Yes, escape velocity can be achieved in space. In fact, all objects in orbit around a massive body, such as a planet, are constantly experiencing escape velocity. The only difference is that their forward motion keeps them in a stable orbit.

What is the significance of escape velocity?

Escape velocity is important for space travel as it determines the amount of energy and speed needed for a spacecraft to successfully leave a planet or moon and enter into orbit or reach another destination in space. It also plays a role in the formation and stability of planetary systems.