Deriving the Relation for Escape Velocity from a Proto-Star Cloud

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving a formula for the escape velocity of an object launched from the center of a proto-star cloud with uniform density, with mass M and radius R, ignoring collisions. The formula is "root over" 2GM/R, which is also the velocity needed for the object to fall freely from the surface to the center. The speaker believes that the potential energy of the system at a certain radius depends on the mass enclosed within that radius. They ask for more hints on deriving the original formula.
trina1990
: Derive a relation for the escape velocity of an object, launched from the center
of a proto-star cloud. The cloud has uniform density with the mass of M and radius R...
Ignore
collisions between the particles of the cloud and the launched object. If the object were
allowed to fall freely from the surface, it would reach the center with a velocity equal to
"root over" GM/R...

i ended up getting the velocity to be "root over" 2GM/R...
where's my fault?
& how to relalte the escape velocity with this falling velocity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
trina1990 said:
i ended up getting the velocity to be "root over" 2GM/R...
where's my fault?
& how to relalte the escape velocity with this falling velocity?

I imagine that it is symmetric -- the speed achieved when "falling-in" to the centre from infinity (assuming starting from rest) is the same as the speed needed to escape to infinity from the centre. So you have the answer, you just have to derive it.

I think that the potential energy of the system when the object is at radius r just depends on the mass enclosed within radius r. Does that help?

yes...it makes sense to me that escape velocity & falling velocity is the same for the system...
but unfortunately i didn't get the 2nd para of your answer..
can you please provide me some more hints to derive the original formula given in the question?

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or star.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the formula v = √[(2GM)/r], where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance from the center of the larger body to the object.

Can escape velocity be achieved?

Yes, escape velocity can be achieved by an object if it reaches the minimum required speed. However, other factors such as atmospheric resistance and the object's own propulsion may affect its ability to reach escape velocity.

What are the practical applications of understanding escape velocity?

Understanding escape velocity is crucial for space exploration and designing spacecrafts. It also helps in predicting the behavior of celestial objects and studying the formation of galaxies.

Why is escape velocity important?

Escape velocity is important because it determines whether an object can escape the gravitational pull of a larger body or not. It also plays a role in determining the orbits of planets and satellites.