1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Escape velocity problem

1. May 6, 2015 #1
    1. Problem
    A rocket has landed on Planet X, which has half the radius of Earth. An astronaut onboard the rocket weighs twice as much on Planet X as on Earth. If the escape velocity for the rocket taking off from Earth is v , then its escape velocity on Planet X is

a) 2 v
    b) (√2)v
    c) v
    d) v/2
    e) v/4

The answer is C.

I reasoned out this problem mathematically, but what is the conceptual reasoning behind this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say this is a mathematical question. To see it more clearly, you could try to derive a formula for escape velocity in terms of the radius ##R## and the surface gravity ##g## of a planet.

4. May 7, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Conceptually you are supposed to quickly approach this from the other end: ##{\tfrac 1 2}mv_{esc}^2## is the kinetic energy needed to overcome the gravitational potential energy. I expect you know how to write the latter as ##GM_{planet}\over R_{planet}##. To see how this ratio relates to idem earth you need Mplanet/Mearth. That follows from the factor 2 in g and the expression for g PeroK is asking for

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted