Escape velocity and tangential impulse

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the tangential impulse needed for a rocket in a circular orbit around the Earth to escape to infinity. The problem is set in terms of energy and conservation of angular momentum is used. The orbital velocity and escape velocity are discussed and it is determined that the required delta v is equal to the difference between the escape velocity and the orbital velocity.
christianwos
Here is the problem.

A rocket of mass m is in a circular orbit around the Earth at a distance R from the center.
(a) What tangential impulse, mΔv, must be given to the body so that it just escapes to infinity?

My attempt:
I set the problem in terms of energy, E=1/2m((dr/dt)^2+r^2(dø/dt)^2) V(r) and using conservation of angular momentum I get

dr/dt=[2mMG/r-(l/mr)^2]^1/2,
where l=mr^2dø/dt.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the orbital velocity for the object?
Do you know how to find the escape velocity for the object?
What's the difference?

Likes 1 person
Hello Chris, welcome to PF.
Just to help me understand what you are doing: when you
set the problem in terms of energy, E=1/2m((dr/dt)^2+r^2(dø/dt)^2) V(r)
what is it you are going to solve ? V = 0 ?

Second, is there a way to justify
using conservation of angular momentum
when you whack this rocket with a big mΔv ?

Likes 1 person
I am just setting the energy equation up. I generally find it easier to work with energy than with forces. Regarding the angular momentum, I meant that L is conserved until the impulse is delivered.

Janus said:
Do you know how to find the orbital velocity for the object?
Do you know how to find the escape velocity for the object?
What's the difference?

The orbital velocity is jusr rdø/dt, while the escape velocity, for a stationary object shot vertically in a gravitational field, would be v=(MG/r)^1/2, where M is the mass of the planet or whatever the object is stationary on.

christianwos said:
The orbital velocity is jusr rdø/dt, while the escape velocity, for a stationary object shot vertically in a gravitational field, would be v=(MG/r)^1/2, where M is the mass of the planet or whatever the object is stationary on.

First off, your escape velocity equation is incorrect (and it doesn't have to be the vertical direction)

Secondly, what is orbital velocity in the terms of M, G and r?

Likes 1 person
The orbital velocity should be v=(MG/r)^1/2 which I get from mv^2/r=mMG/r^2, right?

christianwos said:
The orbital velocity should be v=(MG/r)^1/2 which I get from mv^2/r=mMG/r^2, right?

Correct. Now note that this is the answer you gave for escape velocity.

So what is the correct expression for escape velocity?

Likes 1 person
So the energy is E=-mMG/2R and the escape velocity should be twice the orbital?

christianwos said:
So the energy is E=-mMG/2R and the escape velocity should be twice the orbital?

You're dancing around the answer.

Your energy equation is correct, but in it's present form doesn't help much as it does not have velocity in it.

The other way to express the energy is as the sum of kinetic and potential energies.

Once you have this, all you need to know is that the total energy of an object at escape velocity is 0.

With this information, you can solve for escape velocity.

Now I get v=(2MG/R)1/2.

christianwos said:
Now I get v=(2MG/R)1/2.

Good! Now compare this to the expression you got for the orbital velocity and you have your required delta v.

Likes physicsnmathstudent0 and christianwos
Got it. Thank you for your infinite patience.

Janus said:
Good! Now compare this to the expression you got for the orbital velocity and you have your required delta v.
I'm still a little lost in this last step, how can I get delta v by comparing the orbital velocity and the escape velocity? Is V_esc = V_orb + delta v? I think I just answered myself but I still will like to have a little help. Thank you!

physicsnmathstudent0 said:
I'm still a little lost in this last step, how can I get delta v by comparing the orbital velocity and the escape velocity? Is V_esc = V_orb + delta v? I think I just answered myself but I still will like to have a little help.
Yes, it is that simple. As long as it is a tangential velocity and a tangential impulse. Since this is an eight year old thread relating to someone else's homework exercise, further discussion belongs in a fresh thread.

Likes physicsnmathstudent0

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or star. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and varies depending on the mass and size of the larger body.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and R is the distance between the object and the center of the larger body. This formula assumes that the object is starting from rest and is not affected by any other forces.

3. What is tangential impulse?

Tangential impulse is a measure of the change in an object's velocity in a specific direction, usually perpendicular to the direction of its motion. It is typically measured in Newton-seconds (N*s) and is a result of a force acting on the object for a certain amount of time.

4. How is tangential impulse related to escape velocity?

Tangential impulse is crucial in helping an object reach escape velocity. In order for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, it must have enough velocity in a tangential direction to overcome the pull. This can be achieved through a large enough tangential impulse.

5. Can escape velocity and tangential impulse be used for space travel?

Yes, escape velocity and tangential impulse are important concepts in space travel. In order for a spacecraft to successfully leave Earth's orbit and travel to other planets or celestial bodies, it must reach escape velocity and use tangential impulse to maneuver and adjust its trajectory. These concepts are also important for spacecraft to enter and exit orbit around a planet or moon.