1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Escaping Compressed Air

1. Jun 1, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently designing a model torpedo and plan to use compressed air for it's propulsion and am working out if it's feasible.

At the moment I'm trying to calculate how long it takes for X volume of compressed air at Y pressure to leave (IE return to atmospheric pressure) through a hole or vent of Z diameter. I've had a Google but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it but so far the best way I can think of it is to break it down into groups of milliseconds and then use the Venturi Effect to give me a rough idea but it seems a little crude.

Anyone care to suggest a better method? I'm presuming there is some 'magical formula' that I'm not quite getting.

Cheers,

Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Take a look at Milton Beychok's website here:

http://www.air-dispersion.com/feature2.html

Even though it is labeled for accidental release, it is applicable for the pressurized release to atmosphere of a compressed gas. It's worth your time to read through.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?