ESD Standards for Components & Systems: HBM, CDM & Automotive Testing

In summary, the ESD standard differs for components(ICs) and systems, with IEC61000-4-2 being the standard for systems and different standards applying to ICs. Both HBM and CDM apply to components and systems. The Automotive ESD testing levels are different from industrial ones, with the highest level being 8kV contact and 15kV air discharge. The full access to IEC61000-4-2 is a copyrighted publication and the standards may vary from system to system.
likephysics
Is the ESD standard different for components(ICs) and systems.
For Systems the standard I refer is IEC61000-4-2. For ICs, I am not sure.
Does HBM and CDM apply to only components or does it apply to systems too?
Is the Automotive ESD testing levels different than the industrial ones( 4KV contact and 8KV Air discharge)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
Is the ESD standard different for components(ICs) and systems.
For Systems the standard I refer is IEC61000-4-2. For ICs, I am not sure.
Does HBM and CDM apply to only components or does it apply to systems too?
Is the Automotive ESD testing levels different than the industrial ones( 4KV contact and 8KV Air discharge)?
Please, upload or give link for full access to IEC61000-4-2. Without knowing content there's no point to discuss.
I would think that such standards should differ not just between components and systems but vary from system to system.

zoki85 said:
Please, upload or give link for full access to IEC61000-4-2. Without knowing content there's no point to discuss.
I would think that such standards should differ not just between components and systems but vary from system to system.

That's a copyrighted publication. I have a copy of it here at work, and we test our systems to that standard all the time. 4kV contact & 8kV air is the 2nd test level. The highest is 8kV contact & 15kV air discharge.

ESD testing for ICs is different -- the OP can probably Google for good explanations of those.

Likes zoki85

1. What is ESD and why is it important in component and system testing?

ESD stands for Electrostatic Discharge, which is a sudden flow of electricity between two objects with different electrical potentials. It is important in component and system testing because ESD events can cause damage to electronic components and systems, leading to malfunctions and failures. Therefore, it is crucial to have standards in place to ensure that components and systems are resistant to ESD.

2. What are the different types of ESD standards for components and systems?

The most commonly used ESD standards for components and systems are HBM (Human Body Model) and CDM (Charged Device Model). HBM simulates the discharge from a human body while CDM simulates the discharge from a charged device. There are also specific ESD standards for the automotive industry, such as ISO 10605 and ISO 7637.

3. How are ESD standards for components and systems tested?

ESD standards for components and systems are tested using specialized equipment and test procedures. This typically involves subjecting the components or systems to a specific level of electrostatic discharge and measuring their response. The results are then compared to the requirements outlined in the ESD standards to determine if the components or systems pass the test.

4. What are the consequences of not meeting ESD standards for components and systems?

If components and systems do not meet ESD standards, it can result in failures and malfunctions, leading to costly repairs and replacements. This can also have an impact on the reliability and safety of the overall electronic product. Additionally, not meeting ESD standards can result in financial and reputational losses for companies.

5. Can ESD damage be prevented completely?

While it is not possible to completely prevent ESD damage, following ESD standards for components and systems can significantly reduce the risk of damage. Additionally, implementing ESD control measures such as grounding, shielding, and proper handling procedures can further minimize the chances of ESD events occurring. Regular testing and monitoring of components and systems can also help identify potential ESD vulnerabilities and prevent damage before it occurs.