Is My ESP32-Cam + PIR Sensor + FTDI Assembly Correct According to Diagram?

• Thread starter julianorodrigues0316
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to electronics and is trying to build a project using an ESP32-cam and a PIR sensor. They have a schematic for the project but are unsure if their assembly is correct, especially regarding a transistor. They are seeking help and clarification before testing the circuit. The expert confirms that the assembly looks correct for a 2N3904 NPN transistor in a TO-92 package and suggests checking the datasheet for confirmation.
julianorodrigues0316
Hello people...
I'm learning about ESP32-cam and I'm new to electronics, so I need some help. I want to do a project in which esp32-cam takes a picture and sends it to me, when he "sees" movement. For this, I use a pir. It has a schematic of how to do it, with an esp32-cam, a pir, and an ftdi. But together, you have to put a transistor, and I want to know if the assembly I made is the same as the diagram, in photo number 2. So I want to know if the diagram in photo 2, is done right as in diagram 1.

foto_completa2.png
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
julianorodrigues0316 said:
Hello people...
I'm learning about ESP32-cam and I'm new to electronics, so I need some help. I want to do a project in which esp32-cam takes a picture and sends it to me, when he "sees" movement. For this, I use a pir. It has a schematic of how to do it, with an esp32-cam, a pir, and an ftdi. But together, you have to put a transistor, and I want to know if the assembly I made is the same as the diagram, in photo number 2. So I want to know if the diagram in photo 2, is done right as in diagram 1.

View attachment 269161Thank you.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

It's a bit hard for us to try to check your assembly work from just a picture, but I do have a few questions:
  • I assume the flying lead transistor in the upper left of your picture is Q1?
  • The drawing shows 2 modules (PIR and ESP32), but you appear to have 3 modules in the picture. What is the 3rd module?
  • The drawing shows a 5V battery, but I don't see it in the picture. What are you using for a "5V battery"? Also, you should probably add a decoupling capacitor or two to the 5V rail, unless the PIR and ESP have them included.
  • There are a lot more wires in the picture compared to the drawing. Could you post a list of the wire signals by wire color?
  • Have you tested the circuit yet, and are asking for help because it doesn't work? Or are you just wanting to check before you first turn it on to test it?
EDIT/ADD -- Is the 3rd module the FTDI USB interface module that you allude to? If so, it would help if you would post the full schematic including everything and the wire color list. Thanks.

berkeman said:
It's a bit hard for us to try to check your assembly work from just a picture, but I do have a few questions:
  • I assume the flying lead transistor in the upper left of your picture is Q1?
  • The drawing shows 2 modules (PIR and ESP32), but you appear to have 3 modules in the picture. What is the 3rd module?
  • The drawing shows a 5V battery, but I don't see it in the picture. What are you using for a "5V battery"? Also, you should probably add a decoupling capacitor or two to the 5V rail, unless the PIR and ESP have them included.
  • There are a lot more wires in the picture compared to the drawing. Could you post a list of the wire signals by wire color?
  • Have you tested the circuit yet, and are asking for help because it doesn't work? Or are you just wanting to check before you first turn it on to test it?
EDIT/ADD -- Is the 3rd module the FTDI USB interface module that you allude to? If so, it would help if you would post the full schematic including everything and the wire color list. Thanks.

Hello, photo 2 is correct with the assembly, what was missing was for me to add this transistor, which I don't know if it's right. The battery and capacitors will not be included. I just wanted to know in telecommunication that transistor, if it is correct, in relation to the diagram in photo 1. If the assembly is correct in relation to the transistor, and / or I did not put the transistor "turned".

Thank You

I just wanted to know in telecommunication that transistor, if it is correct, in relation to the diagram in photo 1. If the assembly is correct in relation to the transistor, and / or I did not put the transistor "turned".
For a 2N3904 NPN transistor in a TO-92 plastic package, that looks correct. Looking at the face of such a transistor, I just remember "E-B-C" for the pinout. It's always best to check the datasheet, though, to be sure. Here is a picture that I got from Google Images:

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/basics-of-2n3904

1599767149091.png

berkeman said:
For a 2N3904 NPN transistor in a TO-92 plastic package, that looks correct. Looking at the face of such a transistor, I just remember "E-B-C" for the pinout. It's always best to check the datasheet, though, to be sure. Here is a picture that I got from Google Images:

So, I set it up right, is that it? From what I saw now that you sent me, I had another question. What is connected in number 1, could it be connected in number 3, in this project of mine? In other words, is there a "side" of the transistor in my project?

So, I set it up right, is that it? From what I saw now that you sent me, I had another question. What is connected in number 1, could it be connected in number 3, in this project of mine? In other words, is there a "side" of the transistor in my project?
For NPN and PNP transistors, they work best one way. The "E" (emitter) pin is the one with the arrow -- the arrow points out for NPN transistors, and the arrow points in toward the middle base pin for PNP transistors.

What learning resources have you been using so far to learn basic electronics? Basic transistor and opamp circuits are fairly easy to learn, IMO.

Actually, depending on the color code of the wires, you might have the transistor backwards. The base is correctly going to the PIR sensor, but I can't tell what the orange collector wire is going to...

I see three problems:

• The 10k resistor, R2, is missing.
  • The transistor Collector, pin3, is connected directly to both the PIR and FTDI. That transistor pin 3 should connect to the missing 10k resistor, and the other end of the 10k resistor should connect only to the ESP32 camera pin GPIO13.
  • The 1k resistor, R1, is missing.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an ESP32-cam?

The ESP32-cam is a low-cost, low-power microcontroller board that allows for wireless communication and control. It is based on the ESP32 chip and has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, making it ideal for Internet of Things (IoT) projects.

2. What is a PIR sensor?

A PIR (passive infrared) sensor is a type of motion sensor that detects changes in infrared radiation. It is commonly used in security systems and can detect human movement by sensing the heat emitted by the body.

3. What is the purpose of the FTDI chip?

The FTDI (Future Technology Devices International) chip is used to convert serial data from the ESP32-cam into USB data, allowing for easier communication between the microcontroller and a computer.

4. How can I use the ESP32-cam with a PIR sensor and FTDI chip?

To use the ESP32-cam with a PIR sensor and FTDI chip, you will need to connect the PIR sensor to the GPIO pins on the ESP32-cam and the FTDI chip to the UART pins. You can then program the ESP32-cam to read data from the PIR sensor and communicate with the FTDI chip to send data to a computer.

5. What are some potential applications for the ESP32-cam + PIR sensor + FTDI?

The ESP32-cam + PIR sensor + FTDI combination can be used in a variety of projects, such as home security systems, motion-activated cameras, and smart home automation. It can also be used for data logging and remote monitoring applications. The possibilities are endless with the combination of these powerful components.