Can physics forums create a subforum for essay editing and advice?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter DR13
  • Start date
In summary: I browse and read the web and whatever else; I still have to be there if the student doesn't show, so I don't see a problem with doing stuff while waiting for the next session.
DR13
I had an idea to open up a new subforum (probably in the homework section) that could be used for help with college app essays, scholarship essays, etc. People could post essays and others could read it over and give advice. The advice does not have to be focused on grammar (ie "you missed a comma here, here, here, and there). Rather, it could be focused on general advice about ideas and direction of the essay. The obvious downfall would be people posting their essay willy-nilly because it takes no effort on their part. That being said, if we could find a way to regulate it, I believe that it would be a good addition to physics forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been discussed before. Even one of the mentor's daughter was going to run it. However, there is not enough people requesting essay tutoring. In my opinion, critiquing an essay on this forum that you are going to be submitting to your professor is not fair to your classmates, as the people here are so smart that can literally turn around your essay into a professional manuscript that can be published.

What would be interesting is if we give a topic to write an essay on, and then we will analyze it in great detail. This ensures that a user isn't going to be submitting it somewhere. The point is to help you find gaps in your writing so that next time you write something it will be better, and entirely your own.

waht said:
What would be interesting is if we give a topic to write an essay on, and then we will analyze it in great detail. This ensures that a user isn't going to be submitting it somewhere. The point is to help you find gaps in your writing so that next time you write something it will be better, and entirely your own.

The problem with this would be that most people will not want to put in that kind of effort. People have a lot of their own work to do (work that actually counts for something).

waht said:
people here are so smart that can literally turn around your essay into a professional manuscript that can be published
Intelligence does not equal good writing skills, nor does it equal good critiquing and editing skills. If you want proof, read some journal papers in their rough draft form.

I had an idea to open up a new subforum (probably in the homework section) that could be used for help with college app essays, scholarship essays, etc.
US college and university students have a great resource for this, their friendly local writing center. I do tons of essay tutoring (work in my school's writing center, help friends with their stuff), and the poorer the writer, the more they need real world help. It's very different from helping with the average short homework problem because proper editing can take hours of work; it's like helping with every problem in the book.

I've seen some threads asking for essay advice, but they're pretty sporadic.

DR13 said:
The problem with this would be that most people will not want to put in that kind of effort. People have a lot of their own work to do (work that actually counts for something).

True, but that's the price of learning, only those who want to learn will learn.

story645 said:
Intelligence does not equal good writing skills, nor does it equal good critiquing and editing skills. If you want proof, read some journal papers in their rough draft form.

There is a lot of talent on this forums, and some have shown willingness, and exceptions skill in essaying.

US college and university students have a great resource for this, their friendly local writing center. I do tons of essay tutoring (work in my school's writing center, help friends with their stuff), and the poorer the writer, the more they need real world help. It's very different from helping with the average short homework problem because proper editing can take hours of work; it's like helping with every problem in the book.

That's true, tutoring is available in every school, but it's sort of underused. Some part time tutors I know show up to work and browse web, read, and listen to music. There doesn't seem a lot of demand, especially when it is all free.

waht said:
Some part time tutors I know show up to work and browse web, read, and listen to music. There doesn't seem a lot of demand, especially when it is all free.
I browse and read the web and whatever else; I still have to be there if the student doesn't show, so I don't see a problem with doing stuff while waiting for the next session. I've been a writing tutor for three and half years now, and there's usually the same traffic patterns: finals week is usually half dead, the week before finals is crazy packed, midterms week is also insane, nobody's around in the morning, very long lines in the afternoon, and nobodies around right before vacations. My school has a lot of ESLers, so our writing center probably gets utilized more heavily than others, but my school also puts an effort into publicizing the tutoring resources available.

There is a lot of talent on this forums, and some have shown willingness, and exceptions skill in essaying.
I wasn't saying there wasn't. I agree with you that there are plenty of posters who are very capable of offering good writing advice. I just disagreed with the claim that intelligence automatically equals good writing skills.

What is essay editing/critiquing?

Essay editing/critiquing is the process of reviewing and revising a written work to improve its overall quality. This can include checking for grammar and spelling errors, improving sentence structure, and providing feedback on the content and organization of the essay.

Why is essay editing/critiquing important?

Editing and critiquing an essay is important because it helps to ensure that the final product is well-written and effectively communicates the intended message. It also allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes or weaknesses in the essay, making it more impactful and persuasive.

Who can benefit from essay editing/critiquing?

Anyone who has written an essay can benefit from editing and critiquing. This includes students, professionals, and writers of all levels. Having a fresh set of eyes review your work can help to catch errors and provide valuable feedback for improvement.

What are some common mistakes to look for when editing/critiquing an essay?

When editing or critiquing an essay, it is important to watch out for spelling and grammar errors, unclear or convoluted sentences, repetition, and lack of coherence or flow. It is also important to ensure that the essay follows the appropriate structure and meets the requirements of the assignment.

What is the difference between editing and critiquing?

Editing and critiquing are often used interchangeably, but there are some key differences. Editing focuses on improving the technical aspects of the essay, such as grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. Critiquing, on the other hand, involves providing feedback on the overall content and organization of the essay. It may also involve suggesting changes to strengthen the argument or improve the clarity of the writing.