I have to write an essay for my society class, and i cant think of any good topics, any idea's?
I quite enjoy essays.
"Society" class? I am not sure what that is specifically. Care to explain the material you are covering?
I cant pretty much do this essay on anything.
Why fighting is integral to hockey.
That's a classic essay topic.
I'm assuming you said "can".
An interesting topic would be something around democracy and its benefits over other governmental systems, as well as its flaws. You could analyze what our ancestors have said about it, such as famous philosophers and scientists.
Another massive topic is Philosophy vs. Science. Or philosophical reason vs. empirical argument.
I guess for the most part, it depends on your personal preference.
This is along ek's line :
"Why showboating is essential to Football"
hmmm...interesting interesting......more idea's would be nice tho.
Is that sarcastic?
Because the two are totally different entities.
Showboating in anything is stupid. Fighting is integral to hockey. If you disagree you are either European, American media, or just don't watch hockey. I'm guessing the last option.
Along similar lines again, how about the role of gladitorial related sports (football, hockey, boxing, to some extent soccer and auto racing to name a few) in society.
Or along totally different lines, research and discuss the possible correlation between the loss of a primary food crop and the fall of a society. (Examples are the USSR who began buying wheat 20 years before their breakup, and possibly the Mayans.)
Mmmm...I am not sure perfectly if the following suggestion will be suitable..but can give some "launching" poitns for essays:
-The Theism and atheism movements globally [e.g atheism is increasing in Europe..but thiesm in increasing in China..reasons..predictions on the Globe scale after X years...etc] [Here the essay can look at the "global society"" or the "global societyies" depends how you look at it in you essay]
-What serve people (society) better: A weak democarcy or a strong dectatorship?
(there is many braches about this topic..you can make it wide or norrow untill will fir the length you want for the essay!)
These just comes up out of my mind now..i hope they do not sounds stupid...
How about "Global warming has nothing to do with rising CO2 levels, and a lot to do with the Sun's varying output, Volcanic action, and the 'wobble' in the Earth's orbit"
If your teacher likes Kerry, do it on Kerry and how he would help society.
If your teacher is brainwashed/feared to like Bush, do it on Bush and how he would help protect your "freedom".
Any more wonderful topics?
Compare and contrast the US and Canadian Constitutions.
What are the differences between cat lovers and dog lovers?
The role of alcohol in society
Reality TV - a new phenomenon
The difference between men and women [that might be a long essay, you might pick one of those differences]
The role of the internet in modern politics
What about science and the society?
Asimov wrote some pretty good essays on this sort of stuff. Don't copy it, but ideas. Get reference and update it since this is year 2004.
since you're in canada, how about the following:
- compare/contrast Canada's position in North America with that of a smaller country/countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Spain etc) in Europe
- assess the impact of continentalism on Canadian unity & federalism
- in what ways does NAFTA/FTA compare with the EU as a trade bloc?
- what use is NAFTA/FTA now, since Canada & the US are both member of the WTO?
- describe the plans for the various national power grids put forward in Canada since the 1950s, and why they got shot down
- will the NAFTA cause our supply-management systems in agriculture to be phased out?
- what has the impact of the NAFTA been on Canada's ability to compete in: the forestry value-added sector? electronics and applied technology? Canada's inland and coastal fishery? vegetable and food processing industries? attracting foreign investments in production to the serve the North American market?
- what are the benefits and disadvantages of agreeing to treat US and Mexican individuals and corporations as Canadian nationals?
Thanks everyone, i think i got a topic.
here's another idea
read the following:
- Open for Business: The Roots of Foreign Ownership in Canada by Gordon Laxer
- Not for Export: Toward a Political Economy of Canada's Arrested Industrialization by Glen Williams
and then write about which one is more convincing and why
Separate names with a comma.