Essay Topic Selection for 2nd Year Undergraduate Physics Students

In summary: It sounds like you might need to get creative and look for sources that are not in the library. You might be able to find some articles or books on the internet.
darkar
I have to write up an essay for my second year undergraduate physics.
The essay has to be high in physics contents.

Have asked quite a lot of friends, but most of them seems to be doing black holes or something about astronomy.

As for myself, i planned to go for future energy but seems like it is not specific enough. And also i think that topic is rather too common.

Any other suggestions on what topics will generate interest and fun to present ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A paper surveying the current art in fusion ignition work would be pretty interesting. You can compare and contrast the latest work in magnetic confinement versus inertial confinement. The latest IC machine under construction at Lawrence Livermore Labs is pretty awesome:

http://www.llnl.gov/nif/project/lib_construction.html

I'm not current on fusion research, but I believe that there is a big magnetic confinement facility in Europe (?) that is trying to achieve break-even. Anybody have a pointer to it?

Is fusion power definitely going to be our future primary source of energy?

darkar said:
Is fusion power definitely going to be our future primary source of energy?

No, not definitely. It could turn out to be too hard to make work, or uneconomical, or too dirty in the forms that we can make work. But it holds some promise of being practical in some form, and there are certainly a limited number of choices for long-term energy supply, so it is worth pursuing at some level of support.

BTW, a good thing to address in your paper would be comparing the radioactive waste aspects of each, and describing what the practical storage requirements would be for each. And there are definitely very different waste/storage characteristics for the different fusion reactions that are on the plate -- unfortunately, the "easiest" fusion RX to sustain is one of the worst in terms of creating radioactive waste in the apparatus, etc. And the cleanest RX is one of the hardest to fire and sustain...

I know its been a couple days, but the Astronomy Picture of the Day from yesterday suggests another very interesting topic:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061217.html

"Dark Matter and the Casimir Effect" Interesting stuff, especially the practical issues with micromachined sensors and actuators.

Thats pretty interesting. Cool. I will try to look at that in further details as well.

Thanks.

This is a bit tricky. I need to read some books for reference from the library but all the related books has been borrowed and will only due back after the submission deadline. What should i do?

1. How do I choose an essay topic for my 2nd year undergraduate physics course?

Choosing an essay topic can be a daunting task, but there are a few tips you can follow to make the process easier. First, consider your interests and strengths within the field of physics. This will help you narrow down potential topics that you are passionate about and have a solid understanding of. Additionally, you can speak to your professors or academic advisors for suggestions and guidance. Finally, make sure to choose a topic that is manageable in terms of scope and time constraints.

2. Are there any specific guidelines or criteria for selecting an essay topic in physics?

While guidelines may vary depending on your specific course or institution, there are some general criteria that can help you choose a suitable essay topic. Your topic should be relevant to the field of physics, original and interesting, and have enough available resources for research. It should also be specific enough to be covered in depth within the given word count. Additionally, make sure to check if there are any specific requirements or restrictions for topic selection given by your professor.

3. Can I choose a topic that is not directly related to my coursework?

Yes, you can choose a topic that may not be directly related to your coursework. However, it's important to make sure that the topic is still relevant to the field of physics and can be linked to concepts you have learned in your course. This will help you stay focused and ensure that your essay is academically sound.

4. How can I ensure that my chosen essay topic is unique?

To ensure that your essay topic is unique, it's important to do some research and see if your topic has been extensively covered in previous studies. You can also consult with your professor or academic advisor to see if your topic has been chosen by other students. Additionally, try to approach your topic from a fresh perspective or angle to make it stand out.

5. Is it better to choose a broad or narrow essay topic?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the requirements of your course. A broad topic may allow for a more comprehensive and in-depth analysis, while a narrow topic may allow for a more focused and specific approach. It's important to choose a topic that you feel comfortable with and that can be adequately covered within the given word count.