Health Sciences Admission Essay: Brainstorming Ideas

In summary, MoonBear is brainstorming for a topic for her 500 word essay for university. She is looking for feedback from others on possible topics, and asks for ideas and comments. Some thoughts that cross her mind include choosing an ethically charged topic, choosing something that is no longer a major health issue, or being daring and writing on reasons why no area of research should be discontinued.
antiflag403
Hello everyone!
I am in grade 12 this year and am applying for university :). I am applying for a program called health sciences. One of the determining factors for admission is a 500 word essay. The topic this year is quite interesting. It is "Choose the area of health research that should no longer be pursued and provide reasons why." I am currently brainstorming for an idea. I was hoping i could get some of your guys' expert opinion. In no way do i want help in writing the essay, i am simply trying to get another perspective on possible topics.
Any ideas/comments would be great!
Thanks
AF403

Biology news on Phys.org
Wow! Hmmm...that's a tough one! This is an essay topic to get INTO a university?! Have you come up with any ideas on your own yet? If you've come up with any, it might help others think of more. What's your deadline?

Some thoughts that cross my mind: You could choose an ethically charged topic and argue against it based on ethical considerations, such as stem cell research or cloning. You could choose something that is no longer a major health issue, such as polio. I suppose you could be really daring and write an essay on reasons why no area of research should be discontinued as long as questions remained unanswered that could lead to advances in medicine. I'd be impressed with a student who answered the last of these choices, but I don't know if those evaluating your application would be, or if they have something else in mind. Chances are, the most important thing is to pick something you can present a good argument for. Usually the point of such essays is to find out how well you can write and go through the logical steps of an argument, and the actual topic chosen isn't really that important.

Thanks for the reply MoonBear. Yeah, so far I have been leaning towards a topic that has ethical issues attached. My only fear with that is I assume most of the applicants will be writing on similar topics. I want to stand out! With that said, it will most likely take some time and reasearch to come up with a good topic. The deadline is April 1st however so its not like I need to rush. Once again thanks for the reply and any more input is greatly appreciated.
AF403

What is a health sciences admission essay?

A health sciences admission essay is a written statement that is required as part of the application process for admission into a health sciences program. It is an opportunity for the applicant to showcase their academic achievements, relevant experiences, and personal qualities that make them a strong candidate for the program.

What should I include in my health sciences admission essay?

In your health sciences admission essay, you should include information about your academic background, experiences related to the health sciences field, your career goals, and personal strengths that make you a good fit for the program. It is also important to highlight any unique experiences or challenges that have shaped your interest in pursuing a career in health sciences.

How long should my health sciences admission essay be?

The length of a health sciences admission essay may vary depending on the specific requirements of the program or institution. However, it is typically recommended to keep it between 500-800 words. It is important to be concise and only include information that is relevant to your application.

What can I do to make my health sciences admission essay stand out?

To make your health sciences admission essay stand out, you can focus on showcasing your unique experiences and personal qualities. It is also important to use specific examples and provide evidence to support your claims. Additionally, you can have someone else review your essay for clarity and to ensure it effectively conveys your message.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid in a health sciences admission essay?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a health sciences admission essay include using generic or cliché statements, being too repetitive, and not following the guidelines provided by the program or institution. It is also important to proofread your essay for spelling and grammar errors, as well as to ensure it is well-organized and flows logically.