1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essential singularity

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    I need to show that this function has an essential singularity at z=0.
    I used Taylor series to get what I got, which is a series inside a series...:confused:
    And I can't see how am I suppose to show it from here.
    Any ideas guys?

Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Without seeing the result, or the original function, it's difficult to say what is right and what isn't.

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry :smile:

Attached Files:

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean to write f(z) = cos(e^(1/2))? If so that's a constant function.

I'm having a hard time reading your writing, as your e looks like a cross between an e and a u. Is that thing in the numerator of the exponent on e the digit 1?

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it is [tex]e^{1/z}[/tex] not [tex]e^{1/2}[/tex].

Yes, write out the Taylor's series for ex and replace x with z-1 as you have done. Now, what is the definition of "essential singularity"?

7. Feb 14, 2009 #6
    The Laurent series of f(x) at the point a has infinitely many negative degree terms, the thing is, how can you see that trough this series inside a series?

Thanks.

8. Feb 14, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, you have cos(e1/z). I was only looking at your first e1/z.

Well, e1/z already has an infinite number of negative exponents. Certainly one of the coefficients will cancel out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook