1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essential Singularity

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if z0 is an isolated singularity of f(z) that is not removable, then z0 is an essential singularity for ef(z).

2. Relevant equations
    z0 is a pole of f(z) of order N iff f(z) = g(z)/(z-z0)^N, where g is analytic at z0 and g(z0) is not 0, iff 1/f(z) is analytic at z0 and has a zero of order N, iff |f(z)| → ∞ as z → z0.

Casorati-Weierstrass theorem

3. The attempt at a solution1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I know what to do if z is an essential singularity. But I'm having trouble if z is a pole. It seems that what I must do is find a sequence of points going to z0 such that f(z) goes to infinity, and also a sequence of points going to z0 such that f(z) approaches some complex number. I don't know how to do that.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2
    You could rely on Picard's First Theorem: Any entire function that's not a polynomial has an essential singularity at infinity. So Exp(z) is an entire function and:

[tex]Exp[\frac{A(z)}{(z-z_0)^n}] [/tex]

therefore has an essential singularity at z=z0.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    I'm not supposed to know that theorem yet -- is there a way to prove it using only Casaroti-Weierstrass?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4
    Ok, how about this then: You'd agree that the function:

[tex]e^{1/z}[/tex]

has an essential singularity at zero right since the Laurent series is:

[tex]e^{1/z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^n n!}[/tex]

and the same would be true for:

[tex]e^{1/z+1/z^2}[/tex]

since you could multiply the individual sums for e^(1/z) and e^(1/z^2) and still end up with a series with an infinite number of terms with z in the denominator. And we could keep doing that to show that:

[tex]e^{1/z+1/z^2+\cdots+1/z^n}[/tex]

also has an essential singularity at zero. Ok then, so for simplicity assume f(z) has a pole at zero so we can write:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{\phi(z)}{z^m}[/tex]

with [itex]\phi(z)[/itex] analytic and not zero at zero so:

[tex]\phi(z)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_k z^k[/tex]

then:

[tex]e^{f(z)}=\exp(\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_k z^k}{z^m})[/tex]

[tex]=\exp(h(z)) \exp(\sum_{j=0}^{N}\frac{c_j}{z^j})[/tex]

with h(z) now analytic and e^(h(z)) non-zero. What then can you say about the other part of that expression?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook