Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Essential supremum

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
    [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\| < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\| for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\| =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    correction

Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
    [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty} =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty good. But the domain of the indicator functions isn't (0,1). Can you build a very similar example using functions defined only on (0,1)?

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the response Dick.

If [tex]f_{n}=I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}, then \left\|\underline{lim} I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty} =1[/tex]

Please correct me if I am wrong.

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. That's fine. I was thinking of I_(0,1/n), but you can put stuff on the other side of the interval as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook