1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essential supremum

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
    [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\| < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\| for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\| =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    correction

Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
    [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty} =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty good. But the domain of the indicator functions isn't (0,1). Can you build a very similar example using functions defined only on (0,1)?

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the response Dick.

If [tex]f_{n}=I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}, then \left\|\underline{lim} I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty} =1[/tex]

Please correct me if I am wrong.

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. That's fine. I was thinking of I_(0,1/n), but you can put stuff on the other side of the interval as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?