1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essentially bounded funstions

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Can someone please give me an example of an essentially bounded function??

I'm a bit lost.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Essentially bounded" is another way of saying [tex]L^\infty[/tex] according to this link:

So any constant function is essentially bounded.

What you're looking for is a function which is unbounded at a sufficiently small number of places that for any epsilon>0, one can find a real number s so that the the points where the functions exceeds s in magnitude has measure less than epsilon.

If a function is bounded, it is certainly essentially bounded. But the reverse is not true. A harder problem would be to define an essentially bounded function that is not bounded. But even that's pretty easy. For example, I think:

[tex]f(x) = \begin\{ \begin{array}{cc} x & \textrm{if x is an integer} \\ 0 & \textrm{otherwise}\end{array}\right.[/tex]

is an example of an unbounded function mapping R to R that is essentially bounded.

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    Thanks Carl!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?