Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essentially polluted minds

1. Apr 6, 2003 #1
    essentially polluted minds!!

Did it ever occur to anyone that everything we see isn't the same as everyone elses? For example, you have a red apple. Someone, say Mike, and I are viewing this apple. He has defined the color he sees as red and I have defined the color as red as well. But, if I saw what he was looking at through his eyes, then I would see a different color than the one I have defined as red. Could this be feasible/possible? I don't think so...but its an interresting idea. And this could applie to everything. What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2003 #2
    ya, it happens all the time; colorblindness and the like.
  4. Apr 7, 2003 #3
    Who's Mike?
  5. Apr 7, 2003 #4
    Hey, I know Mike, he's cool, and he ain't color blind either. :0)
  6. Apr 7, 2003 #5
    Re: essentially polluted minds!!

Leaving out the deficits in our hardware, we have to acknowledge the fact that our hardware is similar, and acts in a similar way, producing similar results. There might be slights differences in how different people experience a same stimuli (under laboratory conditions) which are caused by small changes in our hardware.

I think that is what we should conclude, based on reason.
  7. Apr 7, 2003 #6
    ah but all of our "hardware" have their own little "deficits", or differences anyway; some more than others but it is still like fingerprints and snowflakes, you just don't get two of the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?