Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Essentially polluted minds

1. Apr 6, 2003 #1
    essentially polluted minds!!

Did it ever occur to anyone that everything we see isn't the same as everyone elses? For example, you have a red apple. Someone, say Mike, and I are viewing this apple. He has defined the color he sees as red and I have defined the color as red as well. But, if I saw what he was looking at through his eyes, then I would see a different color than the one I have defined as red. Could this be feasible/possible? I don't think so...but its an interresting idea. And this could applie to everything. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2003 #2
    ya, it happens all the time; colorblindness and the like.

4. Apr 7, 2003 #3
    Who's Mike?

5. Apr 7, 2003 #4
    Hey, I know Mike, he's cool, and he ain't color blind either. :0)

6. Apr 7, 2003 #5
    Re: essentially polluted minds!!

Leaving out the deficits in our hardware, we have to acknowledge the fact that our hardware is similar, and acts in a similar way, producing similar results. There might be slights differences in how different people experience a same stimuli (under laboratory conditions) which are caused by small changes in our hardware.

I think that is what we should conclude, based on reason.

7. Apr 7, 2003 #6
    ah but all of our "hardware" have their own little "deficits", or differences anyway; some more than others but it is still like fingerprints and snowflakes, you just don't get two of the same.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook