Is Perception Truly Unique to Each Individual?

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that our perception of colors may differ from person to person, even when looking at the same object. This could be due to slight differences in our hardware, but ultimately, our hardware is similar and produces similar results. The possibility of experiencing the same stimuli differently is acknowledged but not considered feasible.
RuroumiKenshin
essentially polluted minds!

Did it ever occur to anyone that everything we see isn't the same as everyone elses? For example, you have a red apple. Someone, say Mike, and I are viewing this apple. He has defined the color he sees as red and I have defined the color as red as well. But, if I saw what he was looking at through his eyes, then I would see a different color than the one I have defined as red. Could this be feasible/possible? I don't think so...but its an interresting idea. And this could applie to everything. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
ya, it happens all the time; colorblindness and the like.

Who's Mike?

Who's Mike?

Hey, I know Mike, he's cool, and he ain't color blind either. :0)

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
Did it ever occur to anyone that everything we see isn't the same as everyone elses? For example, you have a red apple. Someone, say Mike, and I are viewing this apple. He has defined the color he sees as red and I have defined the color as red as well. But, if I saw what he was looking at through his eyes, then I would see a different color than the one I have defined as red. Could this be feasible/possible? I don't think so...but its an interresting idea. And this could applie to everything. What do you think?

Leaving out the deficits in our hardware, we have to acknowledge the fact that our hardware is similar, and acts in a similar way, producing similar results. There might be slights differences in how different people experience a same stimuli (under laboratory conditions) which are caused by small changes in our hardware.

I think that is what we should conclude, based on reason.

ah but all of our "hardware" have their own little "deficits", or differences anyway; some more than others but it is still like fingerprints and snowflakes, you just don't get two of the same.

What is the definition of "Essentially polluted minds"?

"Essentially polluted minds" refers to a state of mind in which an individual's thoughts and beliefs are heavily influenced by negative and harmful ideas, causing harm to themselves and/or others.

How does pollution affect the mind?

Pollution can have a negative impact on the mind by causing brain inflammation, disrupting neurotransmitter production, and increasing stress and anxiety levels. This can lead to a variety of mental health issues, including depression and cognitive decline.

What are some common sources of pollution for the mind?

Some common sources of pollution for the mind include exposure to environmental toxins, negative and harmful thought patterns, and societal pressures and expectations.

Can pollution of the mind be reversed?

Yes, pollution of the mind can be reversed through various methods such as therapy, mindfulness practices, and surrounding oneself with positive influences and environments. It may take time, effort, and dedication, but it is possible to overcome a polluted mind.

Can children have essentially polluted minds?

Yes, children can also have essentially polluted minds, especially if they are exposed to negative influences and environments at a young age. It is important for parents and caregivers to provide a nurturing and positive environment for children to prevent pollution of the mind.