Establish the following limit?

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Ok. I obtain $S(t) \leq \Lambda/\mu + Ce^{-\mu t}$, which shows that $S \leq \Lambda/\mu.$ But how do get equality? Don't I need to use $liminf$ and $limsup$ somewhere? I don't know...In summary, the conversation discusses establishing the limit of a function as $t$ approaches infinity, given a differential equation and various parameters. The expert summarizer provides a detailed explanation of how to use a comparison theorem and the integrating factor method to show that the limit is equal to a specific value, $\Lambda/\mu$. They also mention the use of $liminf$ and $limsup$ in obtaining equality, but it is
kalish1
Can someone here help me establish that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty} S(t) = \Lambda/\mu$,
given that:

$\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C)$

$N(t)=S(t)+H(t)+C(t)+C_1(t)+C_2(t)$

$\Lambda,\beta,\tau > 0$

$\text{As} \ \ t \rightarrow \infty, \ T,H,C,C_1,C_2 \rightarrow 0?$

_________________________________________________________________________________________
**My attempt:**

$\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \leq \Lambda-\mu S.$ Clearly if $S > \Lambda/\mu,$ then $dS/dt<0.$ Since $dS/dt$ is bounded by $\Lambda-\mu S,$ a standard comparison theorem can be used to show that $S(t) \leq S(0)e^{-\mu t} + \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}(1-e^{-\mu t}).$ In particular, $S(0) \leq \frac{\Lambda}{\mu} \Rightarrow S(t) \leq \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}.$

Also, since $T,H,C,C_1,C_2 \rightarrow 0 \ \ \text{as} \ \ t \rightarrow \infty,$
$$(\forall \delta>0)(\exists T>0)\left(t \geq T \implies \left|-\beta\frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau\frac{S}{N}(T+C)\right|<\frac{\delta}{2}\right).$$ If we take $S \geq \frac{\Lambda-\delta}{\mu},$ then $\Lambda-\mu S \leq \delta.$

Hence $\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \leq \frac{3\delta}{2}.$

If we take $S \leq \frac{\Lambda+\delta}{\mu},$ then $\Lambda-\mu S \geq -\delta.$

Hence $\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \geq -\frac{3\delta}{2}.$
_________________________________________________________________________________________

**Question:** How do I conclude?

I have crossposted this question here: differential equations - How to show that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty} S(t) = \Lambda/\mu$? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
Can someone here help me establish that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty} S(t) = \Lambda/\mu$,
given that:

$\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C)$

$N(t)=S(t)+H(t)+C(t)+C_1(t)+C_2(t)$

$\Lambda,\beta,\tau > 0$

$\text{As} \ \ t \rightarrow \infty, \ T,H,C,C_1,C_2 \rightarrow 0?$

**My attempt:**

$\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \leq \Lambda-\mu S.$ Clearly if $S > \Lambda/\mu,$ then $dS/dt<0.$ Since $dS/dt$ is bounded by $\Lambda-\mu S,$ a standard comparison theorem can be used to show that $S(t) \leq S(0)e^{-\mu t} + \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}(1-e^{-\mu t}).$ In particular, $S(0) \leq \frac{\Lambda}{\mu} \Rightarrow S(t) \leq \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}.$

Also, since $T,H,C,C_1,C_2 \rightarrow 0 \ \ \text{as} \ \ t \rightarrow \infty,$
$$(\forall \delta>0)(\exists T>0)\left(t \geq T \implies \left|-\beta\frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau\frac{S}{N}(T+C)\right|<\frac{\delta}{2}\right).$$ If we take $S \geq \frac{\Lambda-\delta}{\mu},$ then $\Lambda-\mu S \leq \delta.$

Hence $\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \leq \frac{3\delta}{2}.$

If we take $S \leq \frac{\Lambda+\delta}{\mu},$ then $\Lambda-\mu S \geq -\delta.$

Hence $\frac{dS}{dt}=\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \geq -\frac{3\delta}{2}.$

**Question:** How do I conclude?

I have crossposted this question here: differential equations - How to show that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty} S(t) = \Lambda/\mu$? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Are all the parameters constants? If so, it's first order linear...

Prove It said:
Are all the parameters constants? If so, it's first order linear...

$\Lambda,\tau,\beta,\mu$ are all constants. I understand that it's first order linear, but it's a differential inequality. How do I establish equality in the limit?

Last edited:
kalish said:
$\Lambda,\tau,\beta,\mu$ are all constants. I understand that it's first order linear, but it's a differential inequality. How do I establish equality in the limit?

What I am saying is that since the DE is first order linear, you can use the integrating factor method to solve it. Then once you have S(t), you can see what happens to S as t goes to infinity...

Prove It said:
What I am saying is that since the DE is first order linear, you can use the integrating factor method to solve it. Then once you have S(t), you can see what happens to S as t goes to infinity...

Ok. I obtain $S(t) \leq \Lambda/\mu + Ce^{-\mu t}$, which shows that $S \leq \Lambda/\mu.$ But how do get equality? Don't I need to use $liminf$ and $limsup$ somewhere? I don't know how.

kalish said:
Ok. I obtain $S(t) \leq \Lambda/\mu + Ce^{-\mu t}$, which shows that $S \leq \Lambda/\mu.$ But how do get equality? Don't I need to use $liminf$ and $limsup$ somewhere? I don't know how.

You aren't listening to me. SOLVE THE DE!

It's not a linear first order ODE since N(t) contains S(t).

And I see that you already have an answer on MSE.

I like Serena said:
It's not a linear first order ODE since N(t) contains S(t).

And I see that you already have an answer on MSE.

The answer on MSE is incomplete.

Can you help me finish this? This is what I have:

Note that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}\frac{dS}{dt}=\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}\bigg[\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \bigg] = \lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}(\Lambda-\mu S).$ Solving the differential equation within the limit, we obtain $S(t)=\frac{\Lambda}{\mu}+e^{-\mu t}.$ Applying the limit, we see that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}S = \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}$.

kalish said:
The answer on MSE is incomplete.

Can you help me finish this? This is what I have:

Note that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}\frac{dS}{dt}=\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}\bigg[\Lambda-\mu S-\beta \frac{S}{N}(H+C+C_1+C_2)-\tau \frac{S}{N}(T+C) \bigg] = \lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}(\Lambda-\mu S).$

Yep. We can split the limit and make the small stuff go away.

This should be written out though and your original attempt is not mathematically solid.

Solving the differential equation within the limit, we obtain $S(t)=\frac{\Lambda}{\mu}+e^{-\mu t}.$ Applying the limit, we see that $\lim\limits_{t \rightarrow \infty}S = \frac{\Lambda}{\mu}$.

This looks a bit tricky.

Let's make it a bit more formal.

We have:

\(\displaystyle \forall \epsilon >0 \quad \exists T\) such that \(\displaystyle \forall t>T: \left|\frac{dS}{dt} - (\Lambda-\mu S) \right| < \epsilon\).

From this we can conclude:
$$
\left|\frac{dS}{dt} e^{\mu t} - (\Lambda e^{\mu t}-\mu S e^{\mu t}) \right| < \epsilon e^{\mu t}$$

$$\left|\frac{d}{dt}(S e^{\mu t}) - \Lambda e^{\mu t} \right| < \epsilon e^{\mu t}$$

$$(\Lambda - \epsilon) e^{\mu t} < \frac{d}{dt}(S e^{\mu t}) < (\Lambda + \epsilon) e^{\mu t}$$

$$\left(\frac \Lambda \mu - \frac \epsilon {|\mu|}\right) e^{\mu t} + C_1< S e^{\mu t} < \left(\frac \Lambda \mu + \frac \epsilon {|\mu|}\right) e^{\mu t} + C_2$$

$$\frac \Lambda \mu - \frac \epsilon {|\mu|} + C_1 e^{-\mu t} < S < \frac \Lambda \mu + \frac \epsilon {|\mu|} + C_2 e^{-\mu t}
$$

In other words, $S$ is squeezed to \(\displaystyle \frac \Lambda \mu\), but only if $\mu > 0$.

So if $\mu > 0$, then:
$$\lim_{t\to \infty} S(t) = \frac \Lambda \mu$$

Last edited:

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the input values get closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you establish a limit?

To establish a limit, we must analyze the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. This can be done algebraically by plugging in values that get closer and closer to the desired input value. It can also be done graphically by examining the shape of the function's graph near the desired input value.

3. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions at specific points and to make predictions about their values. They also serve as the foundation for many other mathematical concepts, including derivatives and integrals.

4. Can a limit be undefined?

Yes, a limit can be undefined. This occurs when the values on either side of the desired input value do not approach the same value. In other words, the function's behavior is not consistent as the input approaches the desired value, and therefore the limit does not exist.

5. How can limits be used in real-world applications?

Limits are commonly used in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of systems. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum speed of a car or the maximum weight a bridge can hold. They are also used in economics and finance to analyze and forecast trends in data.