Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings

1. Jul 28, 2004 #1
    Here’s my idea:

I want to build a RC plane.
    Inside would house an eStatic generator.
    The wings of the plane to be made from aluminum.
    A high-voltage static field would be applied to the wings during flight - turned on/off by the remote.

I’d like to test the aerodynamics of the plane with and without an eStatic field aplied to the wings.

Has anyone here done this - before I get started on this experiment?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2004 #2

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I think it would be possible only if flown in very low humidity conditions. Then I suspect you’ll shortly have a flying dust ball. Of course in dry conditions the airplane may acquire a static charge simply by moving through the air. In any case the wing surfaces must have no sharp edges, especially points. In short I don’t think it’s feasible. You might try a bi-plane configuration where you can maintain an e-field between the wings if that’s any help.

4. Jul 30, 2004 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should know it has been employed yet the magneto-hidrodinamic boundary layer control, in order to avoid the flow separation. It works with conductors liquids.

5. Aug 18, 2004 #4

ken

Hi

I don't think using an RC plane is going to tell you anything because you won't be able to measure lift or drag in a controled airflow.
    I have flown RC soarers compedativly and can tell you flight times
    can vary from 2 to more than 40 min so duration is not going to tell you anything either.

You have 3 choices

1. Test in a wind tunnel.

2. Mount a model in the free flow in front of a car so you can control incidence and airspeed and lift, drag and moment forces and conduct
    your tests in very still conditions on a good flat and isolated road.

3. Try and find some test or study report where this has been done before.

Ps. Plastic heat shrink coverings comonly used on RC planes can charge up
    in flight.

Regards,
    Ken

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?