Why Multiply Carbon Isotope Mass Numbers by 1.67x10^-27 kg?

In summary, the problem statement involves estimating the masses of carbon isotopes from a dead tree using a conversion factor of 1.67x10^-27kg. It is likely that the conversion will be necessary in order to use the conversion factor provided. The question also involves finding the distance between the lines formed by the singly charged ions of each isotope on a photographic film, using the equation r=(mE)/(qBB').
kashmirekat
Here's a verbatim section of the problem:
" The source contains carbon isotopes of mass numbers 12, 13, 14 from a long-dead piece of a tree. (To estimate atomic masses, multiply by 1.67x10^-27kg). "

My question is isn't the 12, 13, & 14 in the atomic mass units already (Carbon-12 has an amu of 12)? Why would I need to multiply? And if I do need to multiply, should I leave it in kg or convert to g?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you haven't given enough of the problem statement for us to know what exactly you are going to be doing with the carbon masses so that we can know if you really need to convert to some unit such as kg. Since whoever wrote the question took the effort to provide a conversion factor for you, it is pretty likely that you really do need to make use of the conversion factor.

To an approximation, an atomic mass unit is kinda sort of the mass of a neutron or the mass of a proton. This glosses over the fact that the proton's mass is a little different than the neutron's mass. Also, there are issues of binding energy when protons and neutrons bind together to form a nucleus.

Way back when I was a kid, I am pretty sure they liked to call either the mass of a certain isotope of oxygen a perfect 16.00000 amu, or else maybe it was that the mass of the carbon-12 isotope was taken to be a perfect 12.00000 amu, I can't remember which.

I was afraid that would not be enough info, the entire question is as follows:

Suppose the e field between the e plates in the mass spec is 2.48x10^4 v/m and the magnetic fields B=B'=0.68T. The source contains carbon isotopes of mass #s 12, 13, 14 from a dead tree. (estimate masses by x by 1.67x10^-27) How far apart are the lines formed by the singly charged ions of each type on the photographic film?

I thought I would need to multiply since they bothered mentioning it. However, I do not know if I should convert to grams or leave it in kg. The eq I used is r=(mE)/(qBB')

Thanks

Nevermind, Telsa is in kg so for it to cancel I have to use kg.

Thanks.

Ah yes.

One Tesla is one kilogram per second squared per ampere.

What is the definition of atomic mass?

Atomic mass is the mass of an atom or a molecule, which is expressed in atomic mass units (amu). It is a measure of the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus.

How do scientists estimate atomic masses?

Scientists estimate atomic masses by using a scale known as the atomic mass unit (amu). This unit is based on the mass of an atom of carbon-12, which is assigned a mass of exactly 12 amu. Scientists use various techniques, such as mass spectrometry and isotope analysis, to determine the average atomic mass of an element.

Why is it important to accurately estimate atomic masses?

Accurate estimation of atomic masses is important for understanding the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules. It is essential in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, where precise knowledge of atomic masses is necessary for experiments and calculations.

How are atomic masses affected by isotopes?

Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nucleus. Since neutrons contribute to an atom's mass, isotopes of the same element have different atomic masses. Therefore, the estimation of atomic masses must take into account the natural abundance of each isotope in order to accurately reflect the average atomic mass of an element.

Is there a difference between atomic mass and atomic weight?

Yes, there is a difference between atomic mass and atomic weight. Atomic mass is the absolute mass of an atom, while atomic weight is the relative mass of an atom compared to the mass of an atom of carbon-12. Atomic weight takes into account the natural abundance of different isotopes, whereas atomic mass does not. Therefore, atomic weight is often a more useful measure in chemistry and other scientific fields.