What is the meaning of FWHMP and Q in my lab data?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Logan Land
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary, During lab I obtained the data in the attached photo. It then asked for me to plot the data and get an estimated FWHMP as well as a "Q". First question is what does FWHMP and Q stand for? Second, where on my graph would I estimate these? FWHMP stands for Full Width at Half Maxima, which can be calculated using numerical programming languages. Q stands for Q factor, a parameter in the equation for the response of a simple harmonic oscillator, which determines the width of the frequency response curve. It can also be represented as ζ, the damping coefficient.
Logan Land
View attachment 3986

During lab I obtained the data in the attached photo.
It then asked for me to plot the data and get an estimated FWHMP as well as a "Q"
First question is what does FWHMP and Q stand for?
Second, where on my graph would I estimate these?

View attachment 3987

Attachments

• rsz_electronics.jpg
    rsz_electronics.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 85
  • rsz_1rsz_graph.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_graph.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 81
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Logan Land said:
First question is what does FWHMP and Q stand for?
Second, where on my graph would I estimate these?
Except the trailing "P", FWHM stands for Full Width at Half Maxima. Here is a good Wikipedia article about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_width_at_half_maximum

FWHM can be calculated, for instance, in MATLAB using this function file: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10590-fwhm

Other programming languages that have support for numerical programming should have something related to this. FWHM is fairly common in physics.

Likes DaveE and Greg Bernhardt
Honestly, I'm not clear on where to start discussing "Q". There are a few different equivalent interpretations of it depending on your problem or field. You can start with wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_fac... engineering, the,of the cycle of oscillation.

It is basically a parameter in the equation for the response or behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator. In your example, it will determine the width of the frequency response curve.

If you are familiar with complex numbers, I can show you some relevant equations.

Note that when you study this, some use ζ, the damping coefficient instead of Q. Q = 1/(2⋅ζ), they represent the same concept.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is FWHM and how is it estimated?

Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) is a measure of the width of a peak in a spectrum. It is estimated by finding the wavelength or frequency at which the intensity of the peak is half of its maximum value.

2. What does FWHM represent in terms of a spectrum?

FWHM represents the width of a peak at half of its maximum intensity in a spectrum. It is used to characterize the sharpness or broadness of a peak in the spectrum.

3. How is FWHM related to the resolution of a spectrum?

FWHM is directly related to the resolution of a spectrum. A smaller FWHM indicates a higher resolution, meaning that smaller differences in wavelength or frequency can be resolved in the spectrum.

4. What is Q and how is it calculated?

Q is a dimensionless quantity that represents the quality factor or sharpness of a resonant system. It is calculated by dividing the resonant frequency by the FWHM of the peak in the spectrum.

5. How does the value of Q affect the behavior of a resonant system?

A higher value of Q indicates a more stable and sharp resonant system, while a lower value of Q indicates a broader and less stable system. In practical applications, a higher Q value is desirable for better precision and sensitivity.