Estimate number of terms needed for taylor polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Taylor inequality theorem to estimate the number of terms needed in a Taylor polynomial for ln(.8) to guarantee an accuracy of 10^-10. The attempt at a solution involves taking derivatives of ln(x) and using the equation |Rn(x)|<[M(|x-a|)^n+1]/(n+1)! for |x-a|<d. However, there is missing information regarding the value of "a" and "d" that is needed to find the true upper limit. The conversation also mentions that the answer should be 14 and that there may be some confusion regarding the value of "a" being used.
timnswede

Homework Statement

For ln(.8) estimate the number of terms needed in a Taylor polynomial to guarantee an accuracy of 10^-10 using the Taylor inequality theorem.

Homework Equations

|Rn(x)|<[M(|x-a|)^n+1]/(n+1)! for |x-a|<d.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've done so far is take a couple derivatives of ln(x):
1/x
-1/x^2
2!/x^3
-3!/x^4
and made a general (-1)^(n+1) (n-1)!/(x^n)
At this point I am lost, am I supposed to assume a=0? Then M, which is the absolute value of the n+1 derivative would be n!/.8^(n+1). And plugging that into the Taylor inequality equation the .8^(n+1) would cancel and so would the n! and I would be left with 1/n+1<10^-10, which gives me a really big number, even though the answer should be 14. What am I missing?

EDIT: It looks like there might be some missing information. My professor sent the solution out, and to me it looks like he is using a=1. Can someone confirm that?
FyyYfr1.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equation is missing an important part: "for all a (that satisfy the second inequality)". You have to find the value of "a" that maximized the uppper limit to find the true upper limit.
Also, did you find d?

What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical expression that approximates a function at a specific point by using a finite number of terms from the function's power series. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor.

Why do we need to estimate the number of terms for a Taylor polynomial?

Estimating the number of terms needed for a Taylor polynomial allows us to approximate a function with a desired level of accuracy. By adding more terms to the polynomial, we can improve the approximation and get closer to the actual function value.

How do we determine the number of terms needed for a Taylor polynomial?

The number of terms needed for a Taylor polynomial depends on the desired level of accuracy and the function being approximated. Generally, the more complex the function, the more terms will be needed for an accurate approximation. This can be determined through mathematical analysis or by trial and error.

What happens if we use too few terms for a Taylor polynomial?

If we use too few terms, the Taylor polynomial will not be an accurate approximation of the function. This can result in a significant error in the calculated value. It is important to use a sufficient number of terms to ensure a reasonable level of accuracy.

Can we use an infinite number of terms for a Taylor polynomial?

In theory, yes, but in practice, it is not possible to use an infinite number of terms for a Taylor polynomial. As the number of terms increases, the calculations become more complex and the accuracy gained from each additional term decreases. In most cases, using a finite number of terms is sufficient for a satisfactory approximation.