Estimate Remainder of Taylor Series

In summary, the problem is trying to find an n+1 term for the function F(x) = \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt, but the derivatives get more complicated as n increases. The attempt at a solution is to rewrite the function like this: \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt = \int_0^x 1 - t^2 + \frac{t^4}{2!} - \frac{t^6}{3!} + ... + \frac{(-1)^n t^{2(n-1)}}{n!} + R_n
JG89
1. The problem \statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the error involved in using the first n terms for the function [tex] F(x) = \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the Lagrange form of the remainder. I need to know the n+1 derivative of e^(-t^2) but I found that the derivatives get more complicated as n increases, so I dropped that idea.

I rewrote the function like this:

[tex] \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt = \int_0^x 1 - t^2 + \frac{t^4}{2!} - \frac{t^6}{3!} + ... + \frac{(-1)^n t^{2(n-1)}}{n!} + R_n [/tex]

I can easily integrate each term, and then the integral from 0 to x of R_n would be the remainder. Note that R_n is the remainder term for e^(-t^2), so right now I am trying what R_n is.

Rewriting e^(-t^2) as its Taylor series, I differentiated term by term for the first, second, third, etc derivative to see if I can find a general expression for the nth derivative, but I can't find one.

Any suggestions?EDIT: I was also thinking that if there is a constant value M such that all derivatives of F are bounded above by M, and I was able to find this value M, then there would be no problem obtaining an expression to estimate the remainder.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor expansion of an exponential is...

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

So you would replace x by -t^2...

[tex]e^{-t^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n t^{2n}}{n!}[/tex]

So you just need to integrate the term in the sum for n+1 to get the value for the next term...

[tex]\int_0^x \frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} t^{2(n+1)}}{(n+1)!} dt[/tex]

Ok, I just saw your edit, let me go work that out...

Oops, misread the question. Hah, so I can't help much, sorry.

EDIT: Just saw your new reply :(

I have an upperbound for the n+1 term though, does this help in finding an estimate for the remainder?

Last edited:
Well... See if this works...

[tex]F'(x) = e^{(-x^2)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n}}{n!}[/tex]

So the taylor expansion of the m'th derivative is...

[tex]F^m (x) = \sum_{n=m-1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n!} \frac{(2n)!x^{2n-(m-1)}}{(2n-(m-1))!}[/tex]

Again, this could exactly what you are not asking for, hah. Just thought I'd throw this out there, just in case.

My expression for the vth derivative of e^(-t^2) is:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n 2n(2n-1)(2n-2) \hdots (2n - v + 1) t^{2n - v}}{n!} [/tex]

It's pretty easy to find the Lagrange remainder term now, but it's written as an infinite series. How can I write it in a closed-form expression?

Bump...

1. How do you estimate the remainder of a Taylor series?

To estimate the remainder of a Taylor series, you can use the remainder formula, which involves calculating the n+1 derivative of the function at a specific value and then substituting it into the formula. Alternatively, you can use the Lagrange remainder formula, which involves finding the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative on a specific interval.

2. Why is estimating the remainder of a Taylor series important?

Estimating the remainder of a Taylor series is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy of our approximation. By calculating the remainder, we can determine how many terms of the Taylor series we need to use in order to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

3. Can the remainder of a Taylor series be negative?

Yes, the remainder of a Taylor series can be negative. The remainder formula and Lagrange remainder formula both involve taking the absolute value of the (n+1)th derivative, so the remainder can be positive or negative depending on the function and the value at which it is evaluated.

4. What is the relationship between the remainder of a Taylor series and the convergence of the series?

The remainder of a Taylor series is directly related to the convergence of the series. If the remainder approaches zero as n approaches infinity, then the series will converge. However, if the remainder does not approach zero, then the series will not converge.

5. How can the remainder of a Taylor series be used to improve the approximation of a function?

The remainder of a Taylor series can be used to improve the approximation of a function by allowing us to calculate the error in our approximation. By using the remainder formula or the Lagrange remainder formula, we can determine how many terms of the Taylor series we need to use in order to achieve a desired level of accuracy, and adjust our approximation accordingly.